Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Please Help!!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:05 pm 
Fishkeeper

I went on vacation last week and left my aunt in charge of taking care of my fish(feeding them and turning on and off the lights). I spent over an hour explaining everything to her very carefully. I did my weekly 25% water change before I left and left instructions on the fish tank. About half way through the week I got a phone call asking if the fish would be alright if she didn't feed the fish for one night. I said that one night wouldn't kill them but several days may.
Needless to say I came back to find my fish in very poor health. My school of eleven bleeding heart tetras have a whiteish gray coat over their tails and fins and over some of their eyes, and both my bleeding hearts and rasborashave white spots covering their sides.
I've already done a 50% water change and was wondering what to do next. The set-up is a 55 gal. tank with 5 medium sized Geo's, 11 bleeding hearts and 5 rasboras. My filter is an aquaclear 110 with filter medium including chemi-pure, activated charcoal and a sponge. what should I do any help would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:58 pm 
BAS Member

Do a treatment of maracyn.

Don't feed your fish everyday.

At least two-thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity: idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religious or political ideas.
Aldous Huxley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:11 am 
Former BAS Board

Sounds like someone overfed in anticipation of not being able to feed them. This is a common problem. It's what I call "Vacation Syndrome."

In addition to Robert's good advice about treatment and feeding, I would get on a tight schedule of water changing and vacuuming. You probably have quite a deposit of uneaten food and mulm in the gravel bed there.

I would recommend a 10-15% water change every other day until water tests show that your Ammonia and Nitrite levels have dropped back to ZERO. If you don't have a test kit, it is well worth the investment.

In my personal experience,(YMMV) I travel away from home at least twice a year for over a week. My fish receive a normal feeding before I leave and then go with no food for up to 10 days. I have never lost a single fish due to starvation. They look healthy and of course happy to see me when I return.

My personal and professional advice has always been to have someone check on the fish and make sure filters are running etc. but to NOT have them feed the fish unless you can pre-portion the food and make it foolproof.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanruben/

Post subject: Sick Fish
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:33 pm 
Former BAS Board

Hi,
Healthy,adult fish can easily go a week with out being fed.I've done it many times too without a problem.In the past, I've killed fish w/kindness.Overfeeding and messing around w/ the w/P.H. and hardness trying to duplicate my fishes exact natural water conditions(usually not necessary).I have learned that the less I mess around w/stuff the better.Kind of goes for most everything in my life.Anyway....................
I agree w/starting out and doing some water changes making sure you vacum the gravel.When treating the fish w/meds,you will have to remove the carbon and chemi-pure.It sounds like a parasite infestation(ick) and a fungal infection.A safe treatment would be a tablespoon of salt per 5 gals and raising the temperature to about 82 or so for the parasites.Also, add Melafix or Primafix for the fungal infection.Increase aeration.The salt could harm some live plants.If the fish are in real bad shape,I'd use something stronger.Kordon's Rid-Ich is a med. I've had luck with.
There are so many new and good medications on the market.I would go to somewhere like Skiptons who has a huge selection of meds. and check out your possibilities. Good Luck Tom

Post subject: Medications
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:00 am 
Former BAS Board

Hi,

I just wanted to add that any medications used to treat sick fish will have an effect on your water quality.The vast majority will kill your biological filter.That's why many people keep a seperate hospital tank.
I've said this before, but it is VERY difficult to diagnose most fish diseases and then know what medication(s) to use.Your fish could die no matter what you do(I hope not) or could get healthy with only water changes and good food(doubtful).
What worked for me may not work for you due to different disease strains, water hardness,P.H.,stocking levels,species of fish etc. etc. etc.
I highly recommend having a good book on fish diseases.And a good all around knowledge book is a must.One that has fish,plant,disease I.D.'s. etc. The Baensch Atlas(Vol.1) is excellent.My copy was bought brand new and is now well worn but has paid for itself in knowledge a 1000 times over.
Again,Good Luck Tom