Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:38 pm 
BAS Member

Went out grocery shopping fish was fine. Came home to this. Behavior is normal. Should I be thinking about putting my favorite fish down? That is fish poo on the right in the water, not part of the fish's issue.

At least two-thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity: idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religious or political ideas.
Aldous Huxley

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:42 pm 
BAS Member

No one has any idea so far?

At least two-thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity: idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religious or political ideas.
Aldous Huxley

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:45 pm 
Former BAS Board

it looks like it might be a prolapsed rectum - I've not tried to treat that, and I'm not finding much online.
My first thoughts are my usual "fish healing" thoughts - super clean water and a little salt.

Did he eat anything especially big lately ? gravel, a really big feeder fish (or a goldfish with a really big skull) ?

_______
Species I am currently keeping/breeding include :
Copadichromis borleyi "redfin"
Labidochromis caeruleus yellow labs
Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus "Super Red Ancistris"
Xiphophorus montezumae Montezuma Swordtails
_______
(I'm in the middle of resetting and redesigning my fishroom - so things are kinda quiet)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:56 pm 
BAS Member

I just did a water change (around 65%), a full media change and filter clean out with both filters, turned up the heat, and added salt. It could be from gravel as you can see underneath is to the glass from constant redecorating and fighting it's own reflection. That driftwood was on on the other side of the tank. It may have mental issues as well. As for food Cichlid sticks and Big Al's pellets are all it eats, it doesn't even mess with the algae discs for the Pleco.

Aldous Huxley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:07 am 
Former BAS Board

hmmmm
I'm guessing he passed a rock (owwww)

keep an eye on the ammonia/nitrite - that much cleaning may knock back your biofilter a bit.
If possible I'd probably do daily water changes (maybe 30-40%) for about a week.

_______
Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
_______
(I'm in the middle of resetting and redesigning my fishroom - so things are kinda quiet)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:13 am 
BAS Member

redpaulhus wrote:
hmmmm
I'm guessing he passed a rock (owwww)

keep an eye on the ammonia/nitrite - that much cleaning may knock back your biofilter a bit.
If possible I'd probably do daily water changes (maybe 30-40%) for about a week.

yeah I added some freeze dry bacteria, I have to got more because my 20 month old dumped it out and played sandbox.....

Aldous Huxley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:23 pm 
Fishkeeper

Beyond what Rich has already said, I can think of two things to add, but I'm not entirely sure if either applies. One is that the "poo" object looks to me a little like it might be coming from an internal parasite, something approximately like a tapeworm. In that case, you might try feeding with an "anti-parasite" medicated fish food. Look for something with praziquantel as an ingredient. The other possibility is something like a piece of gravel still blocking the digestive track. If that's the case, and if you can get him to eat, try taking a few cooked green peas, mashing them slightly, and feeding with that. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it can act as a fish laxative. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:27 pm 
BAS Member

DocJonathan wrote:
Beyond what Rich has already said, I can think of two things to add, but I'm not entirely sure if either applies. One is that the "poo" object looks to me a little like it might be coming from an internal parasite, something approximately like a tapeworm. In that case, you might try feeding with an "anti-parasite" medicated fish food. Look for something with praziquantel as an ingredient. The other possibility is something like a piece of gravel still blocking the digestive track. If that's the case, and if you can get him to eat, try taking a few cooked green peas, mashing them slightly, and feeding with that. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it can act as a fish laxative. Good luck!

yeah I read somewhere about the peas, I'll try it now. thanks!

Aldous Huxley

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:24 pm 
Former BAS Board

How's he look today ?

_______
Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
_______

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:27 pm 
BAS Member

About the same. He's acting the way he always does though. Epsom salt and peas haven't had any affect.

Aldous Huxley

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:08 pm 
Fishkeeper

I think it may be encouraging that, after this many days, his condition has not gotten worse and his behavior is normal. Perhaps he can get along OK with this condition, despite the way that it looks. You might want to try a wait-and-see approach, with normal water conditions, for a while.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:30 pm 
Former BAS Board

Ditto.
I think this is one of those cases where no news is good news -- healing takes time, but getting worse happens fast.
If he looks the same, I consider that a good thing.

_______
Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
_______

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:12 am 
BAS Member

Still good on behavior. His anus is hanging low though.

Aldous Huxley

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:00 pm 
Fishkeeper

That sounds like the lead-in to a very bad joke, but I'll restrain myself. I suspect he'll be able to get along like this. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:45 pm 
BAS Member

Trust me, i have been giggling like an 8 year old typing these.

Aldous Huxley