Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FIN ROT Please help!!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:17 pm 
Fishkeeper

Hi!

I have 90 Gal heavily planted tank with some amano & ghost shrimps.

I have 1 guppy, 2 glassfish and several corries with fin rot. It looks like it is bacterial as opposite to fungal.

For 7 days I treated whole aquarium with Melafix. To my disappointment one guppy got slightly better one glass fish recovered. However, my favorite angel fish just got fin rot today.

I am going to setup hospital tank tomorrow. But I guess it will take at least several day until I can transfer any fish there.

Since my tank is heavily planted it will be very difficult to catch thik fish and I know some meds can kill my shrimp.

Please help!!! Any help will be very appreciated. Please call me anytime or post your advice.

thank you,
Alex
617-304-6606

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:22 pm 
Former BAS Board

Hi Alex,
Do you have any test kits ?
If so, please test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH, and post the results.
If not, you can bring water to pretty much any local store and they'll test the water for you, and you can write down the numbers and then post them.

The first thing I look for with finrot is an environmental cause, and try to fix it - often the fish will heal pretty quickly once the environment is good.

Also, my initial thought is a hardness/pH problem since your guppies and glassfish like a higher pH and harder water - but if your softwater fish are also having trouble now (angel and corys) then it may be bigger.

In the meantime - it almost never hurts to do a water change (or 2).

_______
Species I am currently keeping/breeding include :
Copadichromis borleyi "redfin"
Labidochromis caeruleus yellow labs
Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus "Super Red Ancistris"
Xiphophorus montezumae Montezuma Swordtails
_______
(I'm in the middle of resetting and redesigning my fishroom - so things are kinda quiet)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:20 pm 
BAS Treasurer

If it's really bad, do a salt dip. But I wouldn't reccomend it unless you know what you are doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:58 pm 
Fishkeeper

Hi!

Thanks for the reply. I frequently test water and here the results of todays 2:30pm test:

PH 6.5

KH 40

GH 50

nitrites, Nitrates 0

Normally PH lever is 6.9-7.0. I do not know why suddenly PH at 6.5. The only reason I could think of is: I am still using Melafix.

I also changed about 30% of water 2 days ago and cleaned my tank.

Any help/suggestions will be apreciated.

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:22 pm 
Former BAS Board

I don't have a chart in front of me ( and I'm assuming your kH and gH readings are ppm) but those both sound like they are in the "very soft" range.

I suspect your pH crash down to 6.5 is the culprit behind the finrot, and that your low kH is the reason for the low pH.

I would recommend slowly increasing your kH and gH, if you're going to continue to keep some hardwater fishes like guppies and glassfish in this tank. I'd also try to keep the pH a little higher as well, but it will probably stay up once the kH goes up.

Seachem Alkaline buffer and Seachem Equilibrium would be easy, plant-friendly ways to increase the kH and gH, respectively.

If you are running a CO2 system I would check to see if you can turn it "down" a bit - you might be overdosing CO2.

A few more water changes would probably help as well - even without adding any additives, your pH will probably slide back up a bit.

I know I've had problems with a number of fishes getting finrot once my pH goes below about 6.5.

_______
Species I am currently keeping/breeding include :
Copadichromis borleyi "redfin"
Labidochromis caeruleus yellow labs
Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus "Super Red Ancistris"
Xiphophorus montezumae Montezuma Swordtails
_______
(I'm in the middle of resetting and redesigning my fishroom - so things are kinda quiet)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:57 pm 
Fishkeeper

thank you for your help.

I will try to use Alkaline buffer and Equilibrium. I am using co2 but it stops working if ph goes bellow 6.9.

I just checked PH again at 11pm and it was 6.9. Any thought about it. I was under impression that PH should go down evening time.

Post subject: Fin Rot
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:23 am 
Former BAS Board

Hi,

Rich probably hit the nail on the head-Water conditions.The glassfish should be in brackish water idealy IMO.They probably got stressed from the soft water and low P.H. first.I've seen many in petstores w/fungal infections etc.
Also,in my experience many disease's are caused by enviormental factors-P.H.,high ammonia,nitrates and aggresion.
Check your tap water.If you are in the Boston area(mwra),the P.H. is very high but the water is soft.Mine is extreme-P.H. of 8.5 aprox. and 40-60 ppm GH.I bet the Melafix could lower the P.H. some.It's made from all natural leaves and such.I don't know how much longer you should keep using it.I've had Mela/Prima Fix work in mild cases when caught quickly.No idea why your P.H. reads 6.9 later.
I too would keep doing water changes every few days of about 15% and see how the fish respond.Do they seem to be getting better?More active?Feeding well?
I've had a tough time curing fish from bacterial infections.It's still a crapshoot making a diagnosis and then treating w/proper meds.I've had better luck treating parasites.
You don't want to change your conditions quickly with sick fish.Like Rich said-Be very careful.Hopefuly,the water changes(getting P.H./hardness up) will correct the problem.I like Seachem's Trace elements to help harden my water a bit.Keep us posted.It helps everyone to know what works and what does not.I think many bacterial infections are still very difficult to diagnose and treat properly except by a Vet.They can properly diagnose and inject fish with anti-biotics that will work as opposed to adding them to a tank.Added to the tank,they have to be absorbed thru the fishes skin and theres always a chance the biological filter will crash.
GoodLuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:35 pm 
Fishkeeper

thank you very much for all your help. I'll keep you posted on the recovery progress.