Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How much CO2?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:24 pm 
BAS Member

I have a 300 gallon planted tank. Anyone know how much CO2 I should be putting into the tank (the bubble counter rate).

The CO2 comes on with the lights about 14 hours a day..

Right now I have it set for about 3 bubbles per second, but have no idea if that is too much or too little.

Anyone know?

Post subject: CO2 addition
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:22 pm 
Former BAS Board

Hi Jay

The number of bubbles per minute is a poor question and any numeric answer to it would be risky to use. CO2 levels are dependent upon pH and KH. There is a chart that can be found on the internet and in various books and mags that plots the ppm of CO2 vs pH and KH. I like to try for 20 ppm CO2 at a pH of 7.0 and a KH of ~6. I suggest you get a copy of the chart and test the pH and KH in your tank and adjust the bubble count until you get the plant growth you desire. Other factors such as temperature and rate of photosynthesis also affect CO2 levels. If somebody does answer your question with a value and you decide to try it just keep a close eye on the other parameters. CO2 addition creates carbonic acid lowering the pH which could be hazardous to fish and plants. I wish there were easy answers to all our aquarium questions. They always seem to require research, work and attention.
Whatever you decide, good luck with the tank. I wish I had a 300 gallon to play with, thats huge!

John B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:17 am 
BAS Member

You are absolutley correct. I checked on the internet and saw that chart you were talking about.

I think I need to get a Kh tester and see where the tank stands on the chart and work from there.

Thanks for the help.

Post subject: Re: How much CO2?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:21 pm 
Fishkeeper

Thats a huge aquarium. As you've probably researched, there is a dance between pH, KH and CO2, and it all has to be monitored. Some people advocate using a pH driven controller on their CO2 regulator so it can constantly monitor pH levels and automatically turn on the CO2 when it senses a drop in pH below a certain level.