Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CO2 Source
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:33 pm 
Fishkeeper

Hi, I'm in the planning process for a new heavily planted tank, and I want to have CO2 injection. I don't think I want to do DIY CO2, so I need to find a source of CO2 tanks in the Boston area. Where do you get your CO2 from?

Chris

Post subject: CO2 tanks
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:54 pm 
Fishkeeper

Igo's Welding supply in Watertown

http://www.igoswelding.com/

It's not far from the Arsenal mall.

My own purchase of such supplies is not far off. I have to get some new bulbs for my light fixture, then the CO2 regulator and tank.

I think the regulator / needle valve is the most expensive part of the equation.

-Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:25 pm 
Fishkeeper

I got my 5lb co2 tank from Wesco on Vassar Street in Cambridge. It's near MIT and the BU bridge.

All of the other co2 equipment I got from AquariumPlant.com.

Post subject: CO2 Source
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:33 pm 
Fishkeeper

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll check Igo's and Wesco out. Can you transport a CO2 tank in your car, or are there safety regulations regarding transport?

Modernhamlet, I am thinking about getting the rest of the system from AquariumPlant.com as well. Which regulator did you get, and are you happy with it? I'm wondering if their "Top Gun" is really better than the Milwaukee regulator. I've seen the Milwaukee regulator for sale for much cheaper at some laboratory outlet sites.

Chris

Post subject: Re: CO2 Source
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:44 am 
Fishkeeper

cskollmann wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll check Igo's and Wesco out. Can you transport a CO2 tank in your car, or are there safety regulations regarding transport?

Modernhamlet, I am thinking about getting the rest of the system from AquariumPlant.com as well. Which regulator did you get, and are you happy with it? I'm wondering if their "Top Gun" is really better than the Milwaukee regulator. I've seen the Milwaukee regulator for sale for much cheaper at some laboratory outlet sites.

Chris

I don't think there are any strange regulations for transporting CO2, but it IS Massachusetts, so you never know! I wouldn't worry about it.

Alas, I just received the Top Gun a couple of days ago, along with the Milwaukee pH controller. The tank should be in the house this weekend, and the rest of the equipment is accumulating slowly, so no way to tell yet. From what I've read, the standard JBL and Milwaukee regulators are both good, but each has a little thing or two that annoys people. The Top Gun model is $10 more and corrects these problems. CO2 is the one area I'm new to and frankly, I'm willing to pay a little more for ease of use and dependability. My DIY time is going elsewhere!

I think Aquatic Plant Central may have some helpful reviews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:51 am 
Fishkeeper

I think that if you're going to invest the money on putting in a C02 system you should at least have a digital pH meter, or a pH regulator along with the setup because it is easy to nuke your tank if the nutrient / C02/ light balance gets out of whack (especially if you have soft water).

I think I will probably end up getting a pH regulator to go with any C02 setup I end up purchasing.

-Amy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:28 am 
Fishkeeper

I agree that pH regulation is required, and I was always planning to get the digital Milwaukee controller, it was just a question of which regulator to go with. I got my Top Gun in the mail yesterday, along with the pH controller, and CO2 reactor. Now I just need the CO2 tank and I'll be good to go.

I went over to Igo's Welding yesterday to see about getting a CO2 tank. He told me that because they have so little demand for them he only sells 5lb tanks, and they are $110! He recommended getting the tank elsewhere (nice to find an honest merchant). I think I may order the tank online from http://www.co2-canisters.com/index.html ... 635.251968 where a 5lb canister is $60. Even with shipping, it's a better deal. Igo's will do filling, he said around $10 for a 5lb tank.

I'll also check out Wesco to see how much they want.

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:53 pm 
Fishkeeper

cskollmann wrote:
I'll also check out Wesco to see how much they want.
Chris

5lb tank, filled: ~$85

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:38 am 
Fishkeeper

For those of us out in central Mass, I've found a supply for 5 lb tanks (they have larger, as well). Price is comparable to Wesco.

Here's the address:

NFG Home Brew Supplies
72 Summer St, Leominster, MA 01453

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:10 pm 
Fishkeeper

Just went to NFG Homebrew Supplies in Leominster last weekend. They have some really, really nice refurbished tanks that they're selling for $54.95 FULL!

So if you're in the area and looking for a tank...I haven't seen anyone cheaper yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:31 pm 
Fishkeeper

Don't forget Linde gas in Billerica. 80 bucks for a 5 pounder filled.

To transport, I just secure it so it doesn't roll around or fall.