Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:56 pm 
BAS Member

Hello Karen,

I know you only by your aquatic-plant-goddess reputation, but I'd like to ask you a question.

I recently purchased a plant at Ned's, (Sat 10/22) and he mentioned it was from Karen, and I assume he meant you.

I usually write down the names, but was frazzled and forgot. It was in the tank under the large batch of wild-caught Cardinal Tetras. The name begins with a "C". It seems to grow from runners, and has long, strap-like, grass-like leaves, quite straight, approx 4" tall, with a prominant mid-vein. The color is an even green-apple green (ie, not dark like java fern). The guy helping me (long hair, not Ned, I don't know his name) said he was surprised it was doing so well, as plants don't often do well there for long unless he puts them into a plant tank. It is NOT an echinodorus, although at very first glance, it looked a little like some sort of chain sword, because of the runners. I realized it was something I didn't know after looking at it a few times. I also realized it was the only one there, and snapped it up!

Now I'd like to get a name, as I actually do keep logs about what goes into my tanks!

Thank you very, very much!
-Jane

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:55 am 
BAS Member

OK, I found the name. I got Ned to go look on the tank where it was written.

I have a Cyperus helferi. Cool! Also, I'm thrilled that it was grown submerged, as I've now read that this plant is usually grown emersed. I find the emersed/submerged transition to be difficult, so I'm especially glad to
have this plant from this source.

I've split it and planted it in two different tanks, to see if it likes a "Quackenbush" clay substrate or a "Walstad" soil substrate better.

Thanks to everyone who looked at this thread!
-Jane