Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new plants
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:43 pm 
Former BAS Board

I grabbed a couple of local plants on my fishing trip last month. I brought them home and quarantined them. I thought the first one I found was Egeria densa at first. How on earth did this get in Maine I thought. I looked in an invasive species pamphlet that I got from the nice EPA girls at the NEC and saw that there was anothe species that looked similar which was indeed an invasive but after a little more reading I concluded that it was Elodea canadensis. Crystal's book is great for Id'ing a plant.
The other plant I brought back I id'ed as Myriophyllum pinnatuum. I put both plants in my tanks. The Elodea didn't make it, probably to warm in the tank I guess. The Myriphyllum is hanging in there and is showing new growth. The original wild plant was quite red, the new growth is bright green

Who do I blame for this new fasination with plants? Karen? My son thinks I'm nuts because I got more excited about the plants than I did about the 3 lb smallmouth I caught.

Post subject: hey john
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:53 pm 
BAS Member

thats cool you still have to invite me over some time to check out your tanks and you should see mine now since the last time you seen them both salt and fresh are doing much better now.
take care
steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:36 pm 
BAS Member

That's really neat!

I went and explored a local pond recently, and am doing something similar. I was THRILLED by the time I came home with my plastic baggie of found treasure! I found some kind of green cabomba (I remember calling this stuff fanwort as a kid) which is growing really fast! Its getting enough light (not stretched out) so it is still as compact as it was when I brought it in.

Some bacopa-looking small stem plant swwms to be dwindling to nothing, but I suspect it is because of the relatively the high temperature (75F). A scraggly bronze grassy-looking thing mostly died off (it was in rough shape to begin with) but the little snippets I planted are growing into something with a very different form - almost vallis or sag looking. I've got to wait until it gets a little bigger before I can even SEE it well enough to decide if it is a rosette growth, or just a tight stem growth, etc.

I have yet to ID any of this stuff, figured I'd see what survived first, then get "serious" about finding out more about it.

-Jane