Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:59 pm 
Fishkeeper

All:

I am new to the list, so please let me know if I break any rules...

I have a 55 gal planted tank with assorted small fish. I was considering adding some freshwater clams to the tank. I have heard that they are good for filtration. Plus they would look cool.

I am concerned about invasive species. Therefore, I would ask if you could recommend either a good species to buy at my LFS, or if I should/could collect some native freshwater clams (is it legal to collect some?).

I live outside of Boston if that helps at all.

Thank you all, in advance, for your help.

monkeyboy73

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:08 pm 
Former BAS Board

I have not seen live ones for sale at any LFS but they are available from a few online stores. Locally-caught ones will probably not like tropical temps.

They will filter the water somewhat, but nowhere near as much as well-growing plants. Growth = nutrient export, so unless you're constantly replacing large clams with small clams, they won't compare to the handfuls of plant cuttings you would be pulling from a densely planted tank.

I have read that some clam larvae attach to fish gills as part of their development. I do not know if this has been observed occuring in fish tanks, and if so, that is has a negative effect on fish.

Ryan

Post subject: I saw some last week
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:34 pm 
BAS Board Member

I was into Lovely Pets in Quincy last week and they had some.

-- Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:39 pm 
Fishkeeper

I've also heard of the larva/gill issue. In addition, I've heard that unless you check everyday, it's hard to determine if any of your clams have died or not since they don't move around much. Which in turn quickly fouls your water. Personally I think too many things can go wrong with keeping clams.

If you're looking for an interesting filter feeder, how about some bamboo or vampire shrimp? Skipton's and Lovely sometimes have them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:02 pm 
BAS Treasurer

freshwater clams release clamlets which attach to your fish's gills (you will need fluke meds)

If you are buying the tropical ones, do your research first.

If you are taking them from ponds, most of them are endangered so you should put them back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:31 pm 
BAS Member

Sorry, but I'd also discourage you from introducing clams.

Ryan had it right when he said their contribution would be significantly less than some healty growing plants.

Years ago, before I knew better, I got one (the "Golden Clam" which is able to withstand tropical temperatures) and it lasted a few months. But WHAT a mess when it died! It really messed up the water, and the horrible smell as I tried to get it out of the tank was something I can still recall.

Plus, once it got itself mostly buried in the substrate, there wasn't much to see.

If you're really interested in a filter feeder, check out the bamboo shrimp. They'll perch near the filter output (ie, in a strong current) and put out their fans to catch debris. A bit of pre-wet powdered fry food dripped in front of them can keep them fed, as they might not get enough food from the filtered water from the output.

-Jane

Post subject: thank you
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:48 pm 
Fishkeeper

Thank you all, for the thoughtful posts.

I gave up on the clams and went with more plants (and cleaning the tank with some regularity).

I have some valissenaria (sp?) that just took over every open space. The fish love swimming through it.

Thanks, again!
monkeyboy73