Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 20-40ppm nitrate
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:09 pm 
Former BAS Board

Susan and I just moved about 2 months ago and had to move our tanks, obviously. It mostly went well, lost many plants but no species so we're all set.

Then about a month into it, the 65 gallon started getting foggy water, about a week later we're sure it was green water. We headed out for a week away and when we got back the water pure green. We turned off the lights for about a week and it is clearing, but slowly.

So we measure parameters today and I was really surprised to find nitrates in the 20-40pmm range! Clearly this is the cause of the green water, but we're puzzled about how we got there. We have about a dozen crypts in the tank that are growing well, a dozen corkscrew vals that are still in the "how dare you touch me, I'm going to melt" stage but the we have the ultimate nitrite/nitrate sponge, a towering water sprite, it is huge, about 2 feet high and a foot across the top of the tank, plus there is another one in the back that we can't see.

(And yes, there is a chance we've been overfeeding, the cardinals are fussy and we've been experiment with new foods, but the cories and SAEs and snails have been eating what the cardinals don't get.)

Clearly the solution to the green water is some massive water changes, that's easy.

But how did this happen? I have a container of potassium nitrate on the fish stuff shelf in the basement, I'm used to adding nitrate to planted tanks, not having to remove it. We'll do water changes until it is clear, and cut back on the food. But frankly, we're both puzzled here.

Post subject: Re: 20-40ppm nitrate
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:56 pm 
Fishkeeper

Have you checked your tapwater for nitrates?

Do you use anything in your substrate?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:34 am 
Former BAS Board

Hmmm, we've not checked the tap water, but I don't think we need to. 8 tanks, one of them is in the same room as the 65 and near a south facing window and it doesn't have green water.

Sub-strate is playground sand.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:22 pm 
Fishkeeper

Large water changes could make it worse, It could remove more of the microorganisms that are supposed to eat it.

Is the tank totally cycled? How strong is the light??

I know its not the best way but I had it once and removed it with Acurel F. I dosed it twice and it never came back.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:17 pm 
Former BAS Board

test

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:19 pm 
Former BAS Board

LOL, just finished a two thirds water change. I'll watch it carefully. I'd call the light medium. It has 1 3' tube on it, the 2nd one burnt out months ago, and a nice LED light. But remember, this is a 65 so it is TALL.

My guess is that in addition to the filter, the majority of the microorganisms that eat it (aside from algae) were living on the surface of the huge piece of driftwood which stayed 90percent submerged during the long water change. (I did it in 2 steps.) I may have killed the bugs in the filter, not sure, hope not. And there is a lot of surface area on the water sprite, java moss and the crypts, which were all submerged all afternoon long.

Tank is cycled, ammonia is zero.