Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: plant growth
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:15 am 
BAS Member

a few months back I set up 2 new 10gallons tanks. tossed in some java moss and java fern, and a couple of killies. The two tanks were "on end" and I put a single strip light over the back of them.

It appears as if my java moss and fern are not growing at all in these tanks... and in a couple of cases actually dieing out. I'm not really sure why either. I've added food supplments to the water. There should be enough nutrients in the water for the plants from the fish in the tanks. Yet they are dieing/barely surviving.

Could it be due to a dieing light bulb??? I just want to get an idea of what others might think it is before running out and buying a new light.

just a bit frustrated, as my other tanks have no problems at all with my low-light plants in them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:06 pm 
Former BAS Board

Did you put a single 15Watt strip over the two tanks? That makes barely 7 watts each. If the bulb is getting older, I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't enough light, even for grow-in-the-dark plants like yours.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanruben/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:39 pm 
BAS Member

yea it is a single.... I figured if I had plants only on that side of the tank I'd be ok.

Since a 15w over a single 10g works alright. perhaps it's because the whole 15w are washing over the whole plant??? dunno.

Green algae seems to be able to grow alright under the light :)

I could replace the bulb and see if that works / put a second strip light across the tank... maybe I'll look to getting that longetr 4' double strip light working for this...

Post subject: tough one
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:39 pm 
Former BAS Board

Both of these plants should survive low light. They also survive hard or soft water, acid or base, and 15 to 28 c. In fact they should be darn hard to kill. These two plants are slow growers so don't expect overnight displays of growth. When in doubt, a major water change might do the trick. Just fertilize after. Algae tends to do well when plants don't and vice versa. Neither moss or fern should be planted, they should be anchored to something and set above the substrate. The fern appreciates water movement like the return flow from a filter. How long do you leave your light on? Java moss does well for me with shorter periods of light, say 8 hrs a day. If a light stays on for more than 12 hrs it just encourages algae because the plants stop using the light sooner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:24 am 
BAS Member

I'll check the timer down there... they might be getting a bit more then 8h due to (very) indrect light before the actual strip light turns on. The tanks are in the basement, so there isn't a ton of indirect light down there.

maybe I'll just do some large water changes this weekend... They are definetly due :/