Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cryptocorne Ciliata
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:58 pm 
Former BAS Board

Hi,

Anyone ever keep this crypt?I can't find much info. on this plant.A lot of what I did find was conflicting.

Thanks......Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:44 pm 
Fishkeeper

Ciliata is a very undemanding plant. If you grow it emmersed it produces beautiful flowers or (spathes as they call it in the crypt world). however submersed is requires quite little care it only needs about 1.5 watts per gallon to grow (or 25 macro moles per second if you want to be nerdy about it) no need for fertilization or co2. This is technically a hard water crypt so it will do best in a high KH substrate such as domolite however I would just plant is an a nutrient rich substrate such as fluorite, florabase, or my personal favorite ADA aquasoil this way you don't have to worry about dosing fertilizers and it will take off. crypts in general are best suited for warm water environments such as discus tanks however it will do fine in mild temperatures as well. I planted it in a high light high co2 and fert discus tank and the leaves got as big as my hand i ended up pulling it out of the tank and chucking it. Hope that helps

Post subject: Ciliata
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:45 pm 
Former BAS Board

Hi Kyle. Thanks for the info. They have since died but I'm going to try them again. I'll plant them in clay pots w/flourite and some dolomite (80/20 sounds good?) and use at least 1.5 watts. The word macro moles has never been uttered by anyone in Chelsea. Never heard of it. I'd think it was some type of skin condition.
All my tanks are low-light. I'm a lazy aquariust w/ the exception of water changes. Java Ferns and Anubias species are the main plants in my tanks. I do have a couple 'common' Crypts that are potted and doing well. The large leaved Ciliata will be a nice addition.
Seriously, It is great having another person in the club that knows so much about planted tanks. I'm sure, not just plants.
Those planted tank pictures are just awesome. Tom....