Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:34 pm 
Fishkeeper

Please excuse my long hiatus BAS!

I was wondering if anyone here kept 10g planted tanks with an incandescent strip light with 2-long life florescent coil bulbs. I added one to a 10g tank choked with java moss and the moss seems to be growing much better now. Does anyone know of a certain bulb that works really well?

Pictures of tanks with this setup would be really appreciated! Along with info on substrate material and CO2 injection if used...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:13 pm 
Former BAS Board

I actually keep a 16 gallon "reef" tank with exactly that same lighting setup. I am using 2x27 watt "daylight" bulbs. I got them from Home Depot, (the other aquarium store). They have been working great.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanruben/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:16 pm 
BAS Treasurer

get the 6500k/6700k daylight bulbs. They peak in the red part of the spectrum and is better for plants (and yes, they sell these for indoor lighting at home depot)

Unfortunately, the incandescent strip lights are terible because their rated wattage is low, so most indoor bulbs sold at home depot wwon't work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:41 pm 
Former BAS Board

I not only use the classic strip lights for these, I also make a DIY version by taking a similar two-bulb socket and mounting it in a 24" or 30" plastic window planter. I line the planter with pieces of aluminum foil pan for reflectors.

Right now I've got a 29g tank with plants, using just such a setup, with two 26w (maybe 27w) bulbs from Walmart - 6500k I think.
This tank has been around for quite some time, and has a mix of laterite and swimming-pool-filter sand. If I was going to do it over again I'd probably use Eco-complete. I'm using flourish and flourish excel, but lately i haven't been dosing as often as I should (too busy to keep up with my tanks lately).

I have another tank (20H) with java moss and an old 20" inc strip, with two of the 10w 6500k lights sold at Walmart in the pet section - they are long skinny bulbs and fit great in an unmodified 20" inc strip. pretty bright for 10w, but not nearly as bright at the 27w bulbs.

I have another tank that has four of those 26 or 27w bulbs - one DIY planter box, one modified strip light. In order to get the 26w spiral bulbs into a standard 20" inc strip light, I removed the stock reflector and glued aluminum foil pan material along the inside of the strip light. I also added a piece of egg-crate the bottom of the strip on each end - legs that raise the strip about .25" or .5". This let me fit in the spiral bulbs.
That tank was originally planted with dwarf sag, val, watersprite, and other plants in Eco-complete. Then I added water lettuce :roll:
Now I have water lettuce gone wild - the roots reach the bottom of the tank (a 20H ), and they cover the surface at least a few inches deep.
The tank has no filter, the killies in there breed like mad, and I regularly pull out plants to sell.

I've got one more tank with a spiral 6500k light - but its in a metal "clamp lamp" holder, not an aquarium strip :)

_______
Species I am currently keeping/breeding include :
Copadichromis borleyi "redfin"
Labidochromis caeruleus yellow labs
Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus "Super Red Ancistris"
Xiphophorus montezumae Montezuma Swordtails
_______
(I'm in the middle of resetting and redesigning my fishroom - so things are kinda quiet)