Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Daphnia
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:25 am 
Former BAS Board

I am starting a culture of daphnia. I purchased some at Neds and have them in a small fish bowl. I would appreciate any and all advice offered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:54 am 
Former BAS Board

I'll see if I can get the awesome directions that Aric wrote up (he sold 4 bags of daphnia at Monday's meeting, with directions and food).

I grabbed a bag and put them in a 10g tank (left over from my last culture, loaded with green water).

Here's how I used to keep them -
10g tank
room temp
slightly bubbling airstone
about 12hrs light a day (these were in a rack with fish tanks, and under the same light w/ timer)

Food - I followed directions I have from an old issue of AFM (1992 ? ) - I would take about half a teaspoon of baby food (human baby food - either peas or sweet potatoes, usually the sweet potatoes) and shake it up in about 1 cup of water until well blended. The pour the food/water mix into the tank.
I was harvesting about once a week by draining into a pair of brine shrimp nets (one inside the other) over a bucket or jug, and then topping off the tank with fresh H20 (about 1 gal a week I think).

Eventually my culture crashed - I think I had gotten slack...

I let the culture water go green afterwards, and thats where I put the ones I bought from Aric Monday. Not sure how their doing - its that green in there...

_______
Species I am currently keeping/breeding include :
Copadichromis borleyi "redfin"
Labidochromis caeruleus yellow labs
Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus "Super Red Ancistris"
Xiphophorus montezumae Montezuma Swordtails
_______
(I'm in the middle of resetting and redesigning my fishroom - so things are kinda quiet)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:20 pm 
Former BAS Board

Baby Daphnia sure are small. I have my little culture in a small 1/2 gallon fish bowl. I remove about two cups of water per day and replace with fresh water. I am saving the removed water in another container which I am keeping on a window sill hoping for algae ( man, that sure sounds crazy ). I have seen baby daphnia in it. I am feeding my daphnia two drops of strawberry milk per day - suggested by Ned - or whatever amount of yeast will stick on my finger. So far so good.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:51 pm 
BAS President

I purchased a culture of Daphnia Magna at the auction last week.
I split the culture between two large plastic Utz pretzel jugs. Each jug was filled with green water from one of my guppy tanks. I placed a submersible heater in each jug. I also had a sponge filter running in each jug. I put the two jugs side by side and had a piece of a broken 10 gallon hood (the glass part that holds the light) with a light across the two jugs providing light. I kept the light on for 8-10 hours. Both cultures seemed to thrive for the first couple of days then on Saturday one culture was completely wiped out. Sunday the other one was gone. Does anyone have any idea why they crashed so fast? The only thing I can think of was that maybe the pretzel barrels I used may have leached a toxin into the water. The article I read about culturing Daphnia recommended using 2 liter soda bottles. I thought the Pretzel barrels would work out great.

I am going to try to restart the culture using a glass tank. Hopefully they produced some ephippia before they expired.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:07 pm 
Former BAS Board

BostonBreeder wrote:
I purchased a culture of Daphnia Magna at the auction last week.
I split the culture between two large plastic Utz pretzel jugs. Each jug was filled with green water from one of my guppy tanks. I placed a submersible heater in each jug. I also had a sponge filter running in each jug. I put the two jugs side by side and had a piece of a broken 10 gallon hood (the glass part that holds the light) with a light across the two jugs providing light. I kept the light on for 8-10 hours. Both cultures seemed to thrive for the first couple of days then on Saturday one culture was completely wiped out. Sunday the other one was gone. Does anyone have any idea why they crashed so fast? The only thing I can think of was that maybe the pretzel barrels I used may have leached a toxin into the water. The article I read about culturing Daphnia recommended using 2 liter soda bottles. I thought the Pretzel barrels would work out great.

I am going to try to restart the culture using a glass tank. Hopefully they produced some ephippia before they expired.

I've used the pretzel jars for brine shrimp before with no problems.
I wonder if it was too warm ?
I keep my daphnia in a tank with no heater in my fishroom (which is in the basement) so they tend to stay 60-70 F all year round.
just a thought.

_______
Species I am currently keeping/breeding include :
Copadichromis borleyi "redfin"
Labidochromis caeruleus yellow labs
Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus "Super Red Ancistris"
Xiphophorus montezumae Montezuma Swordtails
_______
(I'm in the middle of resetting and redesigning my fishroom - so things are kinda quiet)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:59 pm 
Fishkeeper

Mine died. :( I was out of air pumps so i tried to use a powerhead-like thing in a mesh fry box, but it basically filtered them out and killed them.
You've been warned. :)