Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: August
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:37 am 
Fishkeeper

August club meeting review

This months meeting was held August 18, 2008 and was the first meeting hosted by our new club president Aric Wellman. I find it hard to speak in front of people and I think at the beginning of the meeting our new president was perhaps suffering the same phobia but he overcame it and by the end of the meeting was giving Rich a run for volume / presence.

Announcements were made about upcoming events. The DAAS
( Danbury Area Aquatic Society ) will be holding its annual auction on
September 9, 2008 in Carmel NY. That?s just over the Connecticut border for those interested. Also, TFSRI ( Tropical Fish Society of Rhode Island ) will be presenting a fish show and having their annual auction from September 19 - 21, 2008 in Cumberland R.I. The fish show contestants will get points forwarded to the NEC ( North East Council of aquarium societies ) for entry into the NEC Innes award competition.

This month?s speaker was Jerine Blissett with a presentation on Southeast Asian catfish. At first Jerine seemed a quiet speaker and I began wondering how I would stay awake listening to him talk about fish I had no interest in. However first opinions are usually wrong and this was no exception. His enthusiasm overflowed and by the end of the presentation I was wondering where I would put my soon-to-be purchased 3 foot long cat. It was a great presentation with lots of pictures. Jerine obviously loves the topic and his excitement definitely got my attention. Jerine is a delightful speaker who is about to get married. I?m sure we all wish him the best for his wedded future.

There was no bowl show this month; however the numbers had been tallied and Eric Shito presented the 1st place award to Betsy Bosch. The prize makes a very nice shelf display. Don?t you wish you had one to show off? Next months bowl show will be ?open?.

As can be expected the month after the buck-a-bag meeting, the auction held minimal items. What was there was the same usual high quality interesting stuff that went for very unusually low bids. How many $1 bags of fish did you get? I wish I had had the money to acquire that bag of cuttings from the planted tank at Skiptons but I settled for the 7 bags of fish I got for $10 instead. All you people who missed the meeting, thanks for removing the competition.

The raffle got very exciting when _____ _______ donated a pair of koi angels for the raffle. I myself spent an extra $5 with dreams of winning them. Alas, proving that Cornell?s purchase of a gazillion tickets doesn?t always work, Chris won the angels with the purchase of a single $1 ticket. Good for him ( darn it all ). Congratulations to Tony Pinto for winning the tank and to all the other winners.

Refreshments were served; a cheese platter with crackers , chips cheese curls and popcorn, and the usual variety of sodas. Thanks John. When will you have the next batch of chowder? Next month I hope.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]