Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: September
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:43 am 
Fishkeeper

September club meeting review

This months meeting was held September 15, 2008 in the New England Aquarium?s Exploration Center as usual. It seems there was some confusion at the New England Aquarium as to the date of our meeting and they booked the room with another group for the same day. They said it was some sort of whale society but it sounded more like ?How to murder a bad trombone player? to me. Because of the double booking, we had to wait outside for the other group?s lecture to end at 8:00 pm. It was a good thing the weather was nice. We all had a nice time chatting and meeting folks. At 8 the other group emerged from the lecture room and went for their refreshments. Their refreshments looked prettier than ours but definitely not as good. We all got to watch Aric, Rich, John, Ryan and Russ run around trying to set everything up as quickly as possible. A lot of things were changed at this month?s meeting; the auction sign in and viewing tables were in the room to the left of the entrance, there was a big fancy looking shelf for the bowl show set up in front of the lecture room and a matching display board for photos.

Aric made an announcement about our annual auction. It will be November 2nd at the Dedham VFW in Dedham Ma. He asked for volunteers to help out with the auction. He also announced the NHAS?s ( New Hampshire Aquarium Society ) 16th annual auction. It will be held October 19, 2008 at the Newington Town Hall, Nimble Hill Rd., Newington NH. The new display shelf for the bowl show was pointed out as well as the new photo board. The raffle was announced with it?s prizes; a 5-gal. hex tank, a mystery prize donated by Lovely Pet of Quincy, and some less valuable items.

We didn?t have a speaker this month, instead we were treated to a short movie titled ?Aquarium? by Rob Meyer. Rich introduced the movie letting all know that it wasn?t about aquariums or fish keeping per say but instead a coming of age story of a boy. The club?s interest lay in the fact that a lot of members were involved in setting up the aquariums and fish rooms for the movie. Our club name was also used in the movie as the main character and his friends seem to be members of the club and attended a mock meeting. ( I wish we had more young people in the club. ) Rich also skipped the very beginning of the movie. He explained that it may be offensive to some. He described the scene and I for one am thankful he edited it out. Fresh popcorn was passed out as the movie began. The movie had quite a few humorous lines / scenes including a BAS meeting scene complete with nerdy lecturer. My favorite was when a concerned mother, finding her son with his head immersed in a tank in what could be a weird form of suicide, calls out his name and is relieved when he pops his head out and turns revealing the mask and snorkel he is wearing. Is this a new meaning for the term ?swimming with the fish?? It was a good thing the movie wasn?t to long after the late start to the meeting. Next month we will see Rich?s presentation on mudskippers.

There was an ?open ? bowl show this month with four submissions displayed on the nice new shelf; an angel fish with very long fins, a bright orange killifish, a mudskipper ( I thought to be a fish it had to be in the water ), and a koi colored African cichlid. Ballots were submitted and the results were; in 3rd place John?s angel fish, in 2nd place Rich?s mudskipper and in 1st place ( I never would have guessed ) Tony?s Killifish. Due to Eric?s absence all winners got I.O.U. pseudo-ribbons. Although it got bumped by bright, unusual and fancy, Ryan?s cichlid was also a very nice presentation. Next month?s topic ? boo! - scary fish.

The photo-board was pointed out with John?s two photos of cryptoheros nanoluteus, the yellow convict. Does John win if no one else new about the new competition? I hope more people bring in pictures next month.

There were a moderate number of items in the auction and bidding was very low. Great buys were to be had; bags of angelfish for $3, 10 gallon tank for $2, etc?.Cornell was back and he was increasing his supply of livebearers but even he couldn?t drive up the bidding.

The raffle had a mystery box in it donated by Lovely pets. I am always drawn to mystery items and probably would have chosen it instead of the 5 gal hex. Wai doesn?t have that problem and he grabbed the tank as first prize. Elissa got the mystery box as second prize and opened it up for all to see. It was a nice CO2 system by Hagen. Thank you Lovely Pets for your generosity. Wai also felt generous and donated the tank back to the club for the auction as a club donation. It brought in $20 for the club. Nice going Wai.

Refreshments were served; clam chowder, clam chowder, clam chowder ? need I say more. A cheese platter with crackers , chips cheese curls and popcorn, a large bowl of fruit salad and the usual variety of sodas. Thanks John. What will you surprise us with next month?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]