Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: October
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:33 am 
Fishkeeper

October club meeting review

This months? meeting was held October 20, 2008 in the New England Aquarium?s Exploration Center. Again there was some confusion at the New England Aquarium. It seems there was a communication breakdown between Scott and Cornell as to who was going to open the door to let us in. Once again we all gathered outside the door and friendly conversations popped up between members, guests and the occasional passer by. John filled up a bowl with candy and passed it around. Finally Rich found Cornell and we got in to start the meeting.

Aric started the meeting with a brief discussion about our annual auction. He then turned it over to Rich who turned on an overhead showing the duties of the auction and who would be performing them. November 2nd is coming fast. The bowl show shelf was set up and three entries were displayed. The photo board was also set up and there were six pictures displayed on it. An announcement was made that there would be a member?s only raffle for an in-line heater, donated by Lovely Pets of Quincy. John asked for a show of hands of members in good standing and asked if they all got their September newsletter via email. He said if anybody didn?t get theirs to see him for a hardcopy and to correct any email address errors. It was also announced that the BAP ? Breeders Award Program ? was back and that Russ would be supplying and accepting forms from members who brought fish that they bred and raised into the monthly auction.

This months presentation was ?Mudskippers, My Way? by Rich Paulhus, our club treasurer. Obviously Rich keeps mudskippers and his delight with these fish comes through in his presentation. It was an interactive presentation with many questions being asked as the talk progressed. Rich used the questions to proceed through his lecture almost like they were cues for the next topic. Rich showed many pictures and several videos of his mudskippers. Mudskippers are fun to watch and are almost comical in there activities. One of the videos showed the mudskippers chasing and catching crickets. It was fun to watch their excitement for this treat. A sign of how good the presentation is, is how badly I want to set up my own tank of the presented fish. By this rating system Rich?s presentation was very good but my significant other said no more tanks. Darn. In November we will be seeing a video borrowed from the NEC of Luis Navarro?s presentation on setting up a planted tank.

This month?s bowl show topic was ?scary? fish on behalf of October and Halloween. There were three entries. John entered a large Pleco, Russ entered an x-ray tetra, and Betsy entered a huge goldfish. Votes were cast and tallied. Eric presented the winners with ribbons; Betsy for her goldfish - 3rd place, John for his Pleco - 2nd place and Russ for his x-ray tetra ? 1st place. Next month?s topic for the bowl show will be cichlids. All members may enter a fish. Bring your own bowl. An air pump, airline and air stones are available for use at the meeting as well as extra water and fish bags if needed.

There were six entries in the photo competition this month. John entered a photo of Montezuma swords, Russ entered two photos of killifish and Lori entered photos of: a catfish, a clownfish and a close-up of fish eggs. Votes were cast and tallied and the winners were; in 3rd place Lori?s photo of a clown fish, in 2nd place Lori?s photo of a catfish and in 1st place John?s photo of swordtails. Next months photo competition is still open class but John requested that members limit their entries to one photo each.
(Picture)
1st place
(Picture)
2nd place
(Picture)
3rd place

There were a lot more items in the monthly auction than I had expected there would be with our annual auction only two weeks away. Bidding was low with the exception of a bag of blue rams that went for over $20. There were quite a few BAP items in the auction. It is nice to see that facet of our club back again. John bid on and got a huge kissing fish and a very large Jack Dempsey. He then announced there would be fish chowder at next months meeting. Do you think he was joking? I would like to thank everybody for bringing in those plants and not bidding on them. My tanks are looking better every month. Who bid on the blyxa japonica?!! That?s two months running I didn?t get that plant. Darn it all.

Skipton Pet Center of Boston donated something as a mystery item for the monthly raffle but our club president, Aric, who also works at Skiptons apparently forgot it at home. Did he forget it or was it something he found hard to part with? We will have to watch for it at the next meeting. It must be something really nice. I wonder if there will be two mystery items in next months raffle? Nick won the top raffle prize, a BAS t-shirt. Congratulations to Nick and the other winners. Who will win next month? Perhaps you. You never know.

Nick also won the in-line heater in the member?s only raffle. Some people have all the luck. I guess it was his turn to be super lucky. When will it be my turn? Hopefully there will be a member?s only raffle next month also. It is always nice to get a few perks for joining up. Thank you to Lovely Pet for the donation.

Refreshments were served. This month?s special treat was Shrimp and Mushroom chowder. It was really good. It accompanied a fruit salad, cheese and cracker platter, chips cheese curls and popcorn, various sodas and for the cold weather ? hot chocolate. There was also that bowl of candy. What will we have next month? Hopefully not kissing gourami chowder.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]