Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: January
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:40 pm 
Fishkeeper

January club meeting review

This months? meeting was held January 19, 2009 in the New England Aquarium?s Exploration Center as usual. Everything started as it should this month. No locked doors or missing leaders to contend with but it was cold outside. There were 40 people attending the meeting. Lots for the monthly auction were checked in in the adjoining room. The photo board and bowl show display were set up and members put their entries on them. January?s speaker set up a display tank and put some brochures on the back table. All was ready.

Aric started the meeting with a brief discussion about the upcoming NEC convention in March and announced that Jim Carmark will give an untitled lecture in February.

January?s lecture was ?Keeping and Breeding Dendrobatids? by Richard Revis of Black Jungle terrarium supply. Dentrobatids are poison dart frogs from South America. It wasn?t a fish lecture but it was close enough ( aquarium / terrarium ). I have said before that a measure of how good the lecture is is how much I want to go out and get the fish presented. This lecture was even better because it had to jump the hurdle of fish aquarium to frog terrarium. I found the lecture very informative and Richard was definitely enamored with his hobby. The photos were great! These frogs are extremely colorful and very interesting. I was intrigued with the frog in the terrarium display. The animal?s bright green on black pattern was gorgeous. I wanted to run right out and get some right away but a higher power said ?NO? however. So this extension to my hobby will have to wait. I will however do more research on these delightful creatures and who knows, maybe some day?

This months? bowl show topic was ?White?. After votes were tallied John won 3rd place with his albino zebra cichlid, Russ took 2nd place with his white betta, and Justin captured 1st place also with a white betta. Eric presented the winners with their ribbons. Next month?s topic for the bowl show will be ?Characins? so net yourself a tetra and bring it in. All members may enter a fish. Bring your own bowl. An air pump, airline and air stones are available for use at the meeting as well as extra water and fish bags if needed.

There were five entries in the photo competition this month. Tony entered a picture of a killifish again, Lori entered a picture of pleco, Eric entered a picture of a darter, John entered a picture of cardinal tetras, and somebody entered a picture of a fresh water flounder.

1st place was Tony?s photo of a killifish.
"Photo here in full newsletter"

Second place was Eric?s photo of a darter
"photo here in full newsletter"

Third place was Lori?s photo of a pleco.

the other entries
cardinals

flounder

There was a monthly auction. There were a lot more items in the auction than usual the month after the buck-a-bag auction. I finally got some Bylxa Japonica! There were a lot of plants in the auction. The bidding wasn?t to high so there were some bargains to be had.

There was a small raffle but no mystery item. Congrats to the winners.
There was no members raffle this month.

Refreshments were served. Finger roll sandwiches, a nice treat. Fruit salad, chips, corn curls and smartfood popcorn, Coffee, tea , hot chocolate and soda rounded it out. Thanks John for your efforts. What are we having next month?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]