Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fancy Goldfish
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:53 am 
Fishkeeper

I have a beautiful oranda, very friendly, and all of a sudden he is laying on the bottom, swimming a little. He looks good otherwise, no marks, clear eyes, still eats.

Any guesses what's wrong. The other ones hover around him concerned (or so it seems, but he doesn't looks sick) - just acts it and lost his mobility upwards.

He is smaller than the other two.

The only other tankmates are two smallish algae eaters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:15 am 
Fishkeeper

How large is the tank? How often are you doing water changes and how much? What are you feeding and how much?

Post subject: Answers to Goldfish
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:08 am 
Fishkeeper

20 gallon tank, big filtration - undergravel and a 330 gpm. Change water at least every 2 weeks, but usually every week. Water tested regularly. It is perfect. Use goldfish food. They eat a lot, clean the bottom of the tank and when I vacuum, water is pretty clean, so I assume little waste.

It occurred to me that the goldfish could have sucked in a pebble??? What would the effect be and would the goldfish pass the gravel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:14 am 
BAS Member

How long have you had this tank setup?
Have you tested your water quality lately?

I doubt your goldfish swallowed a pebble. It sounds as if he might be having some stability issues (swimm bladder), which might be brought on by poor water quality. Check your water out and see what your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are.

-Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:37 pm 
Former BAS Board

How big are the fish ?

3 in a 20g can get very crowded very quickly - I usually like about 20g per goldfish (even more for orandas and lionheads).

I'd try some largish water changes (50% every other day) making sure the new water has the same temp and pH.
A little aquarium salt in the water may help (about 1 tablespoon per 5g of new water).

It could be a swim bladder issue - as some of the more round-bodied goldfish grow, the swim bladder gets affected by the pronounced "roundness" of the body.

Is he eating/defecating normally ? Sometimes a bit of constipation will cause the digestive tract to press on the swim bladder...

http://www.koivet.com/html/articles/art ... e=Diseases

_______
Species I am currently keeping/breeding include :
Copadichromis borleyi "redfin"
Labidochromis caeruleus yellow labs
Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus "Super Red Ancistris"
Xiphophorus montezumae Montezuma Swordtails
_______
(I'm in the middle of resetting and redesigning my fishroom - so things are kinda quiet)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:36 pm 
Fishkeeper

You mentioned in your other thread that these were $68 (could have that wrong) sized goldfish. Unfortunately, that doesn't really help. How long are they from nose to the beginning of their tail?

Goldfish produce ridiculous amounts of waste. 3 fish in a 20 is going to be really tough to maintain, especially with an undergravel filter. Those are pretty inadequate when it comes to filtering messy fish. I have 3 goldfish (1 8", 2 at 5") in a 75 gallon tank with both an Eheim Pro II and a Emperor 400. Personally, I do water changes 50% once a week. With as crowded as your tank is and the type of filter you're running, 50% every 2 weeks isn't going to be enough.

You didn't mention what you're feeding. It's very important that goldfish not eat high-protein foods. They need a low protein, high carb diet. Digestive problems with the fancy goldfish can lead to constipation and swim bladder issues, both of which can have an impact on the fish's swimming abilities. I make my own veggie frozen food, but I also supplement my goldfish with duckweed and blanched veggies to help provide the roughage they need to keep everything moving through their systems.