Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sick Again
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:27 am 
Fishkeeper

My Oranda (who is 1/2 th size of the other 2) again is lying on the bottom of the tank. He is about

Following advice and believing that it was a water quality problem, I moved the 3 to a 55 gallon tank. The problem was intermittent with the smaller goldfish sometimes up and around and sometimes down and out, with great difficulty swimming. Now he has been lying on his side on the bottom of the tank since last night - 18 hours. He flutters his fins, eats, but can't seem to swim at all anymore. Very sad.

Any suggestions? He is such a sweet guy. I have moved him to a netted breeding box suspended in the tank so that I can more easily feed him and watch him.

Forgot to mention, I have been changing water frequently, as it is a new tank set-up (every other day). Checking ammonia frequently. I am using already seasoned filters that I switched out from their old tank to expedite the cycling process.

Help Me. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:41 pm 
Former BAS Board

what are you current parameters ?
(ammonia, pH, nitrite and nitrate )

I'd keep doing what you're doing - water changes - and maybe try about a tablespoon of aquarium salt for every new 5g of water (ie if you change 10 gallons, put two tablespoons of salt in the new water).

(and water conditioner of course).

_______
Species I am currently keeping/breeding include :
Copadichromis borleyi "redfin"
Labidochromis caeruleus yellow labs
Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus "Super Red Ancistris"
Xiphophorus montezumae Montezuma Swordtails
_______
(I'm in the middle of resetting and redesigning my fishroom - so things are kinda quiet)

Post subject: Sickly Fancy Goldfish
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:05 am 
Fishkeeper

No nitrite or nitrate yet. Ammonia building fast, in fact, I just moved the little guy to his original tank by himself, so that if the ammonia is bothering him even with the water changes, he will be better off. I just hated separating him from him buddies. I was changing the big tank every other day, about 50%. It was getting green again by the second day.

I am not a fish, but I thought he would be happier with the company, but at this point, I think he might be better off alone. The other guys are so big and poop and pee a lot and I don't think he can tolerate it. If he gets better in his old tank by himself, I will get him a small mate for company, but at this point, I am at a loss. I also need to find out where to buy bacteria, as this 55 does not seem to be developing the bacteria fast enough and I don't want my big guys to have similar problem. Right now, they are as happy as clams!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:07 am 
Fishkeeper

If he's in a tank by himself, fast him for 5 to 7 days. I know it's hard and you'll think your baby is going to starve to death, but he won't. If there's an intestinal blockage at work, the long fast will give him time to work it out. If he doesn't get better after the fast, then there's a distinct possibility that his swim bladder has been permanently damaged and he'll be what's known as a "sinker". Now, being a sinker isn't a death sentence. Many goldfish live long lives after becoming sinkers or floaters. You'll need to probably change what you're feeding to provide food that will sink rather than float, so he can eat. And it would be good to provide as many blanched veggies as possible.
Keep up with the water changes, too. They can only help. :)

I have no idea where you're located, but The Fish Nook on Great Road in Acton, MA carries BioSpira. I'd call the fish shops close to you and ask.