Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:45 pm 
Fishkeeper

I have 4 goldfish of various types - oranda, ryukin, telescope and I have a bad algae problem.

Is there any type of algae eater that can help this tank. I am using elbow grease right.

Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:05 pm 
    BAS Treasurer

There is a product out there called Algae Destroyer by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. It is safe for all fish, plants, and even invertibrates. Most petcos carry it.

In my opinion, it is better to use a chemical to destroy algae rather than to put a tropical algae eater into a coldwater tank

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:45 pm 
    Fishkeeper

Would Algae Destroyer remove algae from the glass which turns very green.? Is there any fish that can help with this problem.

Can I raise the temperature in the tank to 72 degrees and then use some kind of algae eater.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:10 am 
    Former BAS Board

Leslie,

Tell me more about the tank, what you do for maintenance, and how much you feed them (quantity and frequency). Also, what is their size?

I'd not put tropical fish in with them. I also loathe the idea of putting chemicals (other than dechlorinator) into the water.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:19 pm 
    Former BAS Board

SusanAufieri wrote:
    Leslie,

Tell me more about the tank, what you do for maintenance, and how much you feed them (quantity and frequency). Also, what is their size?

I'd not put tropical fish in with them. I also loathe the idea of putting chemicals (other than dechlorinator) into the water.

I agree with Susan:
    a) we need more info to offer good advice
    b) I wouldn't put a tropical in with the goldies
    c) I wouldn't add what is essentially aquatic Agent Orange to any tank ever - even if it never affects the fish, if all of the algae dies at once you will have major problems (oxygen depletion, etc)

Is this long stringy algae, or flat algae on surfaces ? What color is it ?
    Do you happen to know what your current nitrAte level is ?

_______
    Species I am currently keeping/breeding include :
    Copadichromis borleyi "redfin"
    Labidochromis caeruleus yellow labs
    Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
    Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus "Super Red Ancistris"
    Xiphophorus montezumae Montezuma Swordtails
    _______
    (I'm in the middle of resetting and redesigning my fishroom - so things are kinda quiet)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:54 pm 
    Fishkeeper

One goldfish (telescope) is quite large (and round) - about 6 inches long. As big as any I see in the stores (if not bigger) - I also have a large ryukin about 4-5 inches and two others about the medium size - 3-3.5 inches. They are in a 55 gallon tank. The water is clear. The algae is on the glass. very green. I use the magnets and a scrubber alot - daily. I change the water weekly about 50%. The nitrate level is low and the ammonia and nitrate close to 0 at all times. No chemicals used at all because I use private deep well water. PH is on the high side naturally - mid 7.5 or so.

All artificial plants, feed them oranges, shrimp pellets, flakes, sinking foods, peas. I probaby do overfeed them, but they always seem hungry, except the telescope who has clearly challenged vision.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:50 am 
    Former BAS Board

Fish Poop + Light = Algae. The Nitrate is low probably because the algae is using it up as fast as your fish can produce waste. Cut back on waste by cutting back on feeding, or do daily water changes. Cut back on light duration and intensity. Algae is not the problem, only the symptom. Using chemicals only makes the symptom go away temporarily.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanruben/

Post subject: Might not be a bad idea
    PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:14 am 
    BAS Board Member

It might not be a bad idea to check your tap water for phosphates. They'll sometimes make algae take off too!

-- Front-fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:02 pm 
    Former BAS Board

That's a lot of fish for a 55G. My two, which are probably half that size are in 75G. Minimum for a goldfish should be 20-25G per fish, and more is in this case better.

Also, I'd skip the flakes. I find flake good only for small, surface feeding tropicals. Much of it falls down, isn't found and just pollutes the water. As for feeding, I've got one fantail type that's fast and smart. The other is a bumbling, ungraceful Oranda. When I feed, I tap the lid on the glass at the same spot and the smart one comes up and lets me feed him. I make sure he's got a good mouthful, then I drop the shrimp pellets in the area of "Miss Graceful" so I don't have to toss in extra to cover bases as it were.

They will always try to convince you it's time to eat. Do not fall for it. They can go many days without. In fact, enforce a once a week no feeding day. It's good for them.

Leslieroad wrote:
    One goldfish (telescope) is quite large (and round) - about 6 inches long. As big as any I see in the stores (if not bigger) - I also have a large ryukin about 4-5 inches and two others about the medium size - 3-3.5 inches. They are in a 55 gallon tank. The water is clear. The algae is on the glass. very green. I use the magnets and a scrubber alot - daily. I change the water weekly about 50%. The nitrate level is low and the ammonia and nitrate close to 0 at all times. No chemicals used at all because I use private deep well water. PH is on the high side naturally - mid 7.5 or so.

All artificial plants, feed them oranges, shrimp pellets, flakes, sinking foods, peas. I probaby do overfeed them, but they always seem hungry, except the telescope who has clearly challenged vision.

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:48 pm 
    BAS Treasurer

use algae destroyer then scrape it off. Algae deswtroy works wonders for green water, but it won't scrape the algae off the walls for you.

If you have another tank, move the fish there, then buy some daphnia to eat up teh green water

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:49 pm 
    BAS Treasurer

Algae Destroyer seems safe enough. It comes down to you whether you want to use it or not.

I only use algae destroyer in emergencies (ie fish dying because they are choking on the algae) I usually scrape it off the glass and rub it off the plants.

It's the beard/hair algae that has me tearing my hair out. (no pun intended)

Post subject:
    PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:00 am 
    Fishkeeper

my goldfish tank never gets below 70 degrees just due to the temp/location of my houses. i've had great success with common plecs, rubberlips, and bushynoses - the three best algae eating plecs you can get!