Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: pygmy sunnies ?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:40 pm 
Former BAS Board

Does anybody here have any experience with pygmy sunfish ?
Specifically Bluespotted or Blackbanded ?

Ned just got in some Bluespotted sunfish, Enneacanthus gloriosus , and some Blackbanded sunfish, Enneacanthus chaetodon.

I'm considering setting up a tank for the Bluespotted - maybe a 10g or 20H, planted (using eco-complete, a small internal power filter, and driftwood, with moderate lighting, or maybe really low light plants and dark sand instead of the eco-complete, and low light levels).
I'm thinking of using some plants that can handle room temp aquaria - elodea and some of the swords, val, or sag that range into North America...

If I go the low light route I'd probably just use an air-driven sponge filter (easier/cheaper and less likely to suck up baby brine shrimp) - since co2 outgassing would be less of an issue with java fern, moss, and anubias (all of my "lowlight" plant tanks have sponge filters, most of my "med light" planted tanks do not)

Anyone have any thoughts on a setup for these fish ? If I didn't have my dwarf pikes in there, my existing 29g planted tank would have been perfect (well, except for the fact that its about 10 degrees too warm).

_______
Species I am currently keeping/breeding include :
Copadichromis borleyi "redfin"
Labidochromis caeruleus yellow labs
Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus "Super Red Ancistris"
Xiphophorus montezumae Montezuma Swordtails
_______
(I'm in the middle of resetting and redesigning my fishroom - so things are kinda quiet)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:31 am 
Fishkeeper

Hi, Red. I've been thinking about setting up a native tank myself. (Must be Spring in the air). I haven't kept either species, but I've researched them quite a bit. The sponge filter is a good idea because they come from slow moving water areas. They also like heavy vegetation. You would probably have to go with the live foods like the baby brine because I've read they don't go for prepared foods. Let me know which one you decide to get. You could also join NANFA, the native fish organization. They have a lot of great info about the dwarf sunfish. http://forum.nanfa.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:05 pm 
Former BAS Board

Hey Bob !
Long time no see !

I've been thinking about joining them (Nanfa) for years...

I just lined up a speaker for later this year to talk about collecting natives in New England :mrgreen:

I figured I'd be feeding brine, white worms, blackworms, microtubifex (I've got a culture going) and 'squito larvae (in season) - but Ned was telling me that these fish are eating frozen already...

_______
Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
_______
(I'm in the middle of resetting and redesigning my fishroom - so things are kinda quiet)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:07 am 
BAS Treasurer

I have some natives right now. I have some bluegill, some swamp darters, a green sunnie, some golden shiners, and some fatheads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:49 am 
Fishkeeper

That's great that they are eating frozen. I'm thinking about trying a few young pumpkinseeds. I just read an article at NANFA about not releasing native fish back into the environment after they have been domesticated. I guess there have been problems with diseases being introduced to natural waterbodies. They recommend destroying the fish when they outgrow the aquarium. That's turned me off to trying some of the larger sunfish. You wouldn't have that problem with the pygmy species.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:02 pm 
BAS Treasurer

It's actualyl agaisnt the law the entire USA to release any organism into the wild native or not.

For fish, you could be introducing ick to places that have never had ick before and the fish could be wiped out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:12 pm 
Former BAS Board

Eric -
Bob doesn't mean that the pygmy sunnies can be released - he means they won't outgrow his tanks (like their larger cousins would)
Quote:
They recommend destroying the fish when they outgrow the aquarium. That's turned me off to trying some of the larger sunfish. You wouldn't have that problem with the pygmy species.

Bob wouldn't release any fish into any water body (I've known Bob since long before we even had a BAS forum, he's a good guy and a good fishnut)

_______
Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
_______

Post subject: Pygmy Sunfish
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:23 pm 
Former BAS Board

Rich,

I have numerous Practical Fishkeeping magazines.Several have articles on keeping American Sunfishes.One has a really good article on the Pygmy Sunfishes.It seems a lot of people keep them in the U.K.
I'll bring 'em to meeting for you.I need to clean out a bunch of stuff.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:35 pm 
BAS Treasurer

oh ok. And a correction on what I said before. The DWF doesn't want people releasing fish into the waterways because there is a type of fungus that does not occur in the wild in the "new world" and when people release the fish, the fungus spreads to native frogs and other amphibians and killing them off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:59 pm 
Fishkeeper

If anyone can get pygmy sunfishes I'd definitely be interested in babies! I understand blackbandeds need very soft acidic water, so I'm not sure I would like those. There's an awesome little sunfish in the everglades called Elassoma Okefenokee, I would love to have these!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:31 am 
Fishkeeper

Cool, I remember wanting to catch and keep a sunfish out of a pond, but they end up getting big and needing a lot of room. Since I have a lot of empty tanks to fill after vacation, I'm going to look into a native tank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:32 pm 
Fishkeeper

I went to Uncle ned's Fish factory yesterday and I saw a tank labeled Okefenokee dwarf sunfish $5!!!! I was very excited but he was sold out :(. He said he'd order me some more! If anyone else is interested in some please let him know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:35 pm 
Former BAS Board

I presently have a pumpkinseed sunny that someone abandoned at my old nightmare er... store. It is about 4 inches long and the picture of health. Anyone interested should pm me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanruben/