Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:41 am 
BAS Treasurer

Frequently Asked Questions Below

The Bowl Show Category for September 2010-June 2011 is: OPEN. All fish and invertebrates are welcome.

Last year, we only had three participants in the Bowl Show and only a handful of entries. This year, in an effort to allow more people to participate in the Bowl Show, there will not be any categories.

However, because of this, there will be a new rule. Any fish winning 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place between Sept 2010 and June 2011 may not be reentered into the show by the entrant for the rest of the season. This means that if Peter wins first second or third place with his Pearl Gourami, he may not enter it again until the next season. However, if Paul had a Pearl Gourami, he may enter it, but may not enter it again if it wins first second or third. If any fish entered do not win first second or third place, the owner is welcome to reenter them within the same season.

This rule is in place to keep the competition fair (so that the same fish doesn't win over and over again every month)

Here are the current standings. NOTE: Due to my bookkeeping skills (or lack thereof), some of the data was lost. If you know that you've won in the bowl show and it is not reflected in the chart, please let me know either here on the forums or at a meeting.

Standings will be posted after the first show of the season.

Person with most points at the end of the season (Sept-June) will win the prize!

The chart will be updated as time goes by.

Last edited by diburning on Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Bowl Show Standings
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:42 am 
BAS Treasurer

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):

What is the Bowl Show?

The Bowl Show is a contest in which members bring in their prized fish according to that month's category and show it off. Other people vote on which fish they like the most and the top 3 winners of that month will receive a ribbon. At the end of the season, (September to June), the member with the most points wins a special prize.

Who may participate?

Members in good standing who have paid their membership may enter fish for the bowl show.

Who may vote?

Everyone present at the meeting may vote. One vote per person.

Do I actually have to use a bowl?

Not unless you want to. Please use the appropriate sized container to safely hold your fish.

What are the rules?

1. The container that the fish is in may only contain water and a fish or a pair of fish. The container may not contain decorations or plants unless it is absolutely necessary (for example, shrimp may need some java moss to hang on to). The enforcement of this rule is at the discretion of the Bowl Show Chairman.

2. Entrants must fill out the entry form completely. If the entry form is not filled out by the time voting starts, and the entry wins first, second, or third place, the person may not be credited for winning the bowl show.

3. One vote per person. Only those present may vote. Each person may only cast their own vote. Entrants are allowed and encouraged to vote. Entrants may vote for themselves.

4. Entrants must be members who are in good standing and have paid their membership! Members must also be paid up by the time of the awards ceremony to receive their prize. (Membership in the BAS is $15/year)

These rules may be changed at any time as needed. Rule changes are at the discretion of the Bowl Show Chairman.

What if my fish does not fit into the category? May I still bring it in?

We encourage people to play fair and by the rules and bring fish only according to that month's category. We have three months that are open class. You may wait to bring it then. Any entry that does not conform to the category may be disqualified at the discretion of the Bowl Show Chairman.

What is the prize?

The winner will receive a trophy during the awards ceremony in July and/or August. There may be other prizes planned in the future.

If I enter a fish in the bowl show, may I enter a photo for the photo contest as well?

Yes. The Photo Contest and the Bowl Show are seperate contests. Members may enter both if they desire.

HELP! I can't log in to the forums! What should I do?

If you are one of the many who have the problem where you log in, and then it does not say that you are logged in and cannot post, then here is the solution:
Clear your cookies. The cookies on this site have been updated and if your browser still has the old one, it will not let you log you in.

What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

An African or European swallow? The airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow is roughly 11 meters per second, or 24 miles per hour, beating its wings 7-9 times per second rather than 43. And a 5 ounce bird cannot carry a one pound coconut. (I guess we can't use this question on trivia night anymore :P )

FAQs will be changed as needed.

Last edited by diburning on Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Past Bowl Show Winners
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:09 am 
BAS Treasurer

Past Bowl Show Winners:

2009-2010: Winner is Tony Pinto.
The chart is quite empty due to the lack of participants.

THE DATA FOR THE BOWL SHOW WINNERS 2006-2007 HAVE BEEN LOST IN THE GREAT COMPUTER CRASH OF 2007. (I have printed out the charts for 2006-2007. It will be uploaded when it is found :D )

Last edited by diburning on Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:10 am 
BAS Treasurer

Reserved Post for later use

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:11 am 
BAS Treasurer

Reserved Post for later use

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:38 am 
Fishkeeper

Do you all have a grow out contest?

If so I would love to see its rules;

Thanks

BAP chair and Tulsa Chapter President of the OKAA (Oklahoma Aquarium Association)
http://www.okcaa.org/phpBB2/index.php

Member COMAS

No one can save them all but everyone can save at least one.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:08 pm 
BAS Treasurer

Do you mean Breeder's Award Program? I'm not sure if the BAP chairman is on the forums. Your best bet is to show up to a monthly meeting and talk to Russ Nordgren. He's the BAP chairman.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:48 pm 
Former BAS Board

herpchat wrote:
Do you all have a grow out contest?

If so I would love to see its rules;

Thanks

We haven't had one in a few years.
As I recall, the rules were pretty basic.

a) One member brings in a large number of fry of a certain species (I think paradise fish last time).
b) Only members may compete in the contest, every member who signs up for the contest gets one fish given to them.
c) After a set amount of time (6 months ?) the people who took fish for the contest bring them back in and we compare to find the largest fish at that time.

_______
Species I am currently keeping/breeding include :
Copadichromis borleyi "redfin"
Labidochromis caeruleus yellow labs
Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus "Super Red Ancistris"
Xiphophorus montezumae Montezuma Swordtails
_______
(I'm in the middle of resetting and redesigning my fishroom - so things are kinda quiet)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:47 am 
Fishkeeper

That is what I meant;

So your rules were pretty simple.

I would love to come to one of your meetings.

I spent my childhood growing up in Brockton.

BAP chair and Tulsa Chapter President of the OKAA (Oklahoma Aquarium Association)
http://www.okcaa.org/phpBB2/index.php

Member COMAS

No one can save them all but everyone can save at least one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:52 pm 
BAS Treasurer

Data updated. Congratulations, Tony!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:17 pm 
BAS Treasurer

Yes, the bowl show info has been updated.

Some of the info was missing because I either lost the entry forms or I missed a meeting. Please let me know if you have any info as to what goes in the columns with the Question marks :D