It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Free biOrb gallon,
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:43 am 
Former BAS Board

I have a biOrb 30 aquarium available for free. You can read about it here:

http://www.reef-one.com/products/produc ... l/biorb-30

It holds about 8 gallons of water. It works fine but I'll give some caveats:

1) It is made of acrylic which is really great but scratches, mine has some scratches, not a lot, but some.
2) You'll want a heater in it for most fishes
3) If you are a beginner, don't put a gold fish in it, trust me, don't.
4) It has some Maylasian Trumpet Snails in it (which are a very cool burrow snail that mostly comes out at night, great for live plants) and some pond snails (these are small, about 1/4" and they are not great for live plants)

Now, what's great about it? I'm an experienced aquarist, past president of the Boston Aquarium Society, and this has got to have been my most care free tank ever. I had up and running for about 1.5 years without needing to clean it. (And I'll tell you how when you pick it up) With some low light live plants it will be gorgeous and carefree. I'll throw in some Java Moss and some very small Java Ferns, I even have 2 castles from my daughter's old aquarium if you want them. One has Java Fern rooted it, which is nice.) You'll also get the Flourite gravel, which is an expensive gravel for live plants. The pumice that came with the biOrb is also included. Few a few exceptions I think you'll want to buy a small heater for it, I'm keeping mine.

Now why am I getting rid of it? Well, a sphere is a pretty stupid idea for a fish tank. I'm glad I never had to clean it, if I had algae it would have been impossible. But a sphere also acts as a lens. Yeah, the fish looked bigger, which is great, but when it went around to the back he just disappeared from view. We just bought an Eheim cube tank to replace the biOrb with. I'll chuck it out soon, but if you want to drive to Provincetown it is yours, free.