Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:48 am 
Former BAS Board

I'm planning on having between 20 and 40 cardinal tetras in my planted 65 gallon tank. I like the look of a tight school. So it seems to me I need to add a fake predator, one that will keep the cardinals' school tighter.

Is this even necessary? And what would a good extra fish to have? Would SAE's work? They move around a lot and I always seem to need them to keep the bread algae down. Note, I don't want the "predator" to actually hunt the fish, just keep them in line a bit.

For example, check out this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmovE40nLDg That's what I want. (But not the awful music, turn the sound down if you are at work...)

Now check out this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38fwwQezoYs that's a much looser school. I greatly prefer the look of the first.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:41 pm 
Fishkeeper

I would imagine the labeo sharks would make a great 'false predator', for keeping the cardinals higher in the water and the thing is highly unlikely to be able to eat a tetra.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:11 am 
Former BAS Board

I don't know... they get pretty big. Not that it would be a real threat, but I've never kept a fish that large before. The tank is a 65 so it is also only 3 feet long. The tank has been setup for more than a year now, and broken down and moved once. Just finally are they coming out and swimming around. 2 quarter sized angels will be added soon, they are in quarantine now with 7 younger cardinals.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:15 pm 
Fishkeeper

By labeo shark, I mean the black, red tail or red fin. Some big brochis might also be an idea?