Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:48 pm 
Fishkeeper

I'm thinking of getting a few shrimp for a 20 gallon community tank for cleaning/maintenance purposes. I'd prefer them to be breedable to maintain the population. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:05 am 
Former BAS Board

How big are the fish in this tank ?

Cherry shrimp are great looking and will breed like mad -- but they are small enough that moderate sized community fishes may eat them (or the offspring) - so you may not get much fry even with smaller tankmates.

"amano" (japonica) shrimps eat alot more algae in my experience, and are large enough that most "community" fish suitable for a tank that size will probably leave them alone - but they don't breed in freshwater.

_______
Species I am currently keeping/breeding include :
Copadichromis borleyi "redfin"
Labidochromis caeruleus yellow labs
Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus "Super Red Ancistris"
Xiphophorus montezumae Montezuma Swordtails
_______
(I'm in the middle of resetting and redesigning my fishroom - so things are kinda quiet)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:57 am 
Fishkeeper

I've got a pair of swordtails (1.5-2"), 5 glowlight tetras(0.5-1") and 6 danios (0.5-1"). The sizes are all just the body, no fins. Eventually will get a few gupys when I make up my mind as to what colors/tail shapes to get. The tank is planted with various swords. Will this be a problem with shrimp munching on plants rather than algae? What would be a good place to get the cherries or amanos? Anyone locally have some for sale?
thanks for response redpaulhus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:49 pm 
Former BAS Board

hmmmm
Adult swordtails will probably much cherry shrimps or similar sized related shrimps (there are a number of varieties in the same size range, with various colors).
Ditto adult zebra, rosy, or giant danios.
I've successfully kept "celestial" danios with cherry shrimps but they did limit my cherry shrimp fry production, and they are very small for danios.

Amano shrimps are probably going to be a safer bet, although it might be 50/50 as to the adult swords eating them (or trying to anyway).

Neither of these shrimps has eaten plants in my experience - just algae and fish food.

Where to get them - BAS meetings are a great way to get cherry shrimps, lots of club members keep them.

Or, check your local quality fish stores (there's a list on the homepage) -- Skipton's, Ned's, Tropic Isle, Lovely Pets, etc - all are likely to have one or both types, they are very popular.
Big box "super"stores :roll: - Petco, Petsmart, etc - not so much.

Assuming I don't get too wrapped up in other things before the meeting, I'll probably be bringing some cherry shrimps to the next BAS meeting (March 15), where they will be in the auction portion of the meeting.

I'll also probably bring some to the TFSRI auction at on March 28th :
http://www.tfsri.net/index.php?option=c ... &Itemid=56

_______
Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
_______
(I'm in the middle of resetting and redesigning my fishroom - so things are kinda quiet)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:44 pm 
Fishkeeper

I think I'm going to use your suggestion and get amano instead. I'll be in Miami the whole week of March 15th so I won't make it. I'll probably try one of the stores you suggested depending on which one is the closest.

Do amanos just breed in the community tank or do I need to segregate a few of them for reproduction? I don't mind fry losses as long as they can maintain their population. Also, how do you tell which one is mail/female?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:56 am 
Former BAS Board

kony wrote:
Do amanos just breed in the community tank or do I need to segregate a few of them for reproduction? I don't mind fry losses as long as they can maintain their population. Also, how do you tell which one is mail/female?

Unfortunately, amano shrimp are difficult to breed. They need brackish water (and planktonic foods) for larval development, unlike the cherry shrimps (who only need freshwater, and have larvae that are perfect little copies of the parents with no complex metamorphosis process, so they are super easy to breed/raise.

http://www.petshrimp.com/amanoshrimp.php

http://www.petshrimp.com/redcherryshrimp.php

_______
Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
_______

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:47 pm 
BAS Member

Wow,

well, Rich basically summed it all up, but I'll add a few thoughts, as well.

You might want to try some ghost shrimp in this tank first. See just how much the fish harass the shrimp, and how bold the shrimp become. Glass or Ghost shrimp are quite hardy, and can take a larger range of water conditions than the Amano or Red Cherry shrimp. They're more scavengers than algae eaters, but they are quite amusing to watch, and surprisingly bold around fish once they've sized them up. They can get surprisingly large, and become quite a part of the community aquarium. I use them as the "canary in the coal mine" for any tanks that are recently set up, before placing other shrimp in there. Like the Amano shrimp, Glass Shrimp also need brackish water to reproduce, since their larvae go through various stages.

Also, no matter what shrimp you get, make sure you have NO copper in your water. Invertebrates are about 100 times more sensitive to copper than fish are, and fish are far more sensitive than mammals are. Also, hiding places are needed, for when they moult, and are soft and vulnerable until the new shell hardens. Crevices, rocks and dense plants are good locations for them to moult in safety. And no, Amano, Cherry or Glass Shrimp won't bother healthy plants, although they will pick at the biofilm as fallen plant leaves decompose.

Guppies and other livebearers can be difficult to keep with shrimp if your fish population is large - they'll be curious and pester the shrimp endlessly. Also, shrimp like Red Cherries have very tiny babies, who have no inclination to hide, so they're easily picked off by fish, even small ones.

DO try some shrimp, though - I find they're quite fascinating, and once you've kept them, you'll be "hooked".
-Jane

Dec. '09 - 10 gal Planted w/ Black Bar Endler's Livebearers, 10 gal Planted with "mini Mystery snails", shrimp & dwarf cray tank, 5.5 gal Planted w/Celestial Pearl Danios (and hopefully breeding soon!). 20 H planted temp housing for Danio choprae, Panda Cories, Dwarf Crays, Shrimp. 30 gal Planted community tank - under De- and Re-Construction. 10 gallon planted awaiting new shrimps!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:48 pm 
BAS Member

Oh,

and Aqua Life in Providence (if that is close for you - don't know you're location) always has a nice selection of Amano shrimp.

-Jane

Dec. '09 - 10 gal Planted w/ Black Bar Endler's Livebearers, 10 gal Planted with "mini Mystery snails", shrimp & dwarf cray tank, 5.5 gal Planted w/Celestial Pearl Danios (and hopefully breeding soon!). 20 H planted temp housing for Danio choprae, Panda Cories, Dwarf Crays, Shrimp. 30 gal Planted community tank - under De- and Re-Construction. 10 gallon planted awaiting new shrimps!