Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:23 am 
Fishkeeper

It's a good thing I have a very tolerant significant other. :)

I set up a 55 gallon African tank in my living room yesterday. (Yes, it's now the 5th tank in that room, but 2 of them are small, so they don't count.) I'd been wanting to do it for a while, as I've only ever kept soft-water cichlid species. Found a fantastic fish store in NY, and just had to buy some.

The tank now houses 6 psudotropheus saulosi juvies, all still yellow, and a group of 6 same-species aulonocaras (2 males, one obviously dominant, and 4 females). I'm still trying to figure out exactly which species of Peacock I've got. It's tough...the males are dark blue, no yellow that I've seen, at all. The closest thing I've been able to find is Aulonocara stuartgranti.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:49 pm 
Fishkeeper

Well, after posting on a Malawi cichlids board, it turns out that I actually have 5 males and 1 lone female. The other 3 males are very female looking. That's not at all what I was looking for! Grrr...

Ah, well. I'll pull them if things start going badly. That lone female sure is feisty, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:29 pm 
Former BAS Board

cool !
lets see some pics !

I usually don't go out of my way to promote other sites on here, but I've got a friend (acquaintence ? fellow-fishgeek-I've-never-met-in-person ? ) who's forgotten more about rift lake cichlids than many "experts" know. If you get a chance, take a look at posts by a guy called "fishguts" at http://www.nycichlids.com (and some other cichlid sites as well, I'm sure).

I actually met him on another site that has slowly wasted away, and he taught me a ton about Rift Lake fish, I really like his methods.

examples:
(darn - none of the photo links on the old board are working... he had some truly stellar lemon jakes that I was sooooo coveting )
oh well - he's still got some neat stuff here:
http://community-tank.com/inv/index.php?showforum=35

I'm still considering breaking down one of my 55g tanks (it is supposed to become my latest saltwater native tank) and making it a Lake Tang. tank... decisions decisions (I still wish I had room for another 125g tank, I really wanted to do a BIG peacock tank with some yellow labs )

_______
Species I am currently keeping/breeding include :
Copadichromis borleyi "redfin"
Labidochromis caeruleus yellow labs
Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus "Super Red Ancistris"
Xiphophorus montezumae Montezuma Swordtails
_______
(I'm in the middle of resetting and redesigning my fishroom - so things are kinda quiet)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:36 pm 
Fishkeeper

Thanks for the links, Rich! I'm still reading everything I can, hoping some of it will stick.

I also found out that my fish are hybrids. That, I'm not super thrilled about. But, I figure they're good for starters, and I can always sell them and replace them with fish from known sources.

Here are the photos I took to post to the other site:

Image[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:44 pm 
Former BAS Board

Very nice !

I've seen alot of sweeeeet cichlids at both Ned's and Skipton's, and I know that Russ MacAndrews always has awesome cichlids (last I heard he was at Pisces in Weymouth but that may have changed ) - so they may be good sources for some pure strains down the road (Aric from Skipton's had a Ngara flametail pair in his tank at home that was too sweet for words )

_______
Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
_______
(I'm in the middle of resetting and redesigning my fishroom - so things are kinda quiet)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:37 am 
Fishkeeper

I've been keeping my eyes on Ned's board to see when he's getting some new Africans in. I've never been to Skipton's. I hear great things about it from other boards...I'm just never in Boston when I have time to go fish-shopping.

How do you manage to keep a native saltwater tank cool? Big chillers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:23 pm 
Former BAS Board

NicholeR wrote:

How do you manage to keep a native saltwater tank cool? Big chillers?

actually - a cool-ish basement :mrgreen: and very careful selection of local fish that don't mind if the tank hits about 70F (ie no "Gulf of Maine" fish like harbor pollack ) - lots of shallow water fish from the southside of Cape Cod

http://www.redpaulhus.com/node/15

_______
Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
_______

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:48 am 
Fishkeeper

That was a great article! My basement stays about 75-77 in the hottest part of the summer and doesn't dip below 55 in the winter. Great...just what I need...more ideas for fish to keep.

Does the club ever have fish-collecting trips? I'd love to participate in something like that, as it's nothing I've ever done.

Made a trip to Skipton's on Sunday. GREAT store. I spent about 1 1/2 hours chatting with Ed. Super nice guy and very knowlegeable. I ended up leaving with a pair of stunning German Red Aulonocaras and a really nice tiny little Ryukin. I expected a bit of a scuffle with the new German red male and my current dominant male. Besides a tiny bit of chasing on behalf of the German red, nothing to get excited about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:16 am 
Fishkeeper

I came home yesterday to find one of my pseudotropheus saulosi females holding. It was quite a surpise, as I was fairly certain this female was actually a subdominant male in drag...very large with faint black stripes.

Has anyone bred these? What are my chances of getting fry if I let her hold to term? I've read about stripping, but I just don't think I'm comfortable trying it. :oops:

Post subject: holding
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:02 pm 
Former BAS Board

Can you put her in a breeder trap , one that's large enough? I put the female in a trap(with a small piece of PVC) and either pull the eggs or wait until she releases them. The female won't eat the eggs but the other fish will.
chuck

Post subject: Re: holding
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:23 am 
Fishkeeper

cfittz wrote:
Can you put her in a breeder trap , one that's large enough? I put the female in a trap(with a small piece of PVC) and either pull the eggs or wait until she releases them. The female won't eat the eggs but the other fish will.
chuck

What sized breeder trap did you use, Chuck? I have a couple of livebearer traps hanging around, but they just don't seem big enough to me. Hmmm...perhaps I should check into those in-tank refugiums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:59 am 
Former BAS Board

Hi Nicole,

If your rockscape can accomodate it, you can use eggcrate to cordon off one side of the tank with the lone holding female until she spits.

I've got 6 of Chuck's yellow labs, 7 rusties, and 5 saulosi (1m/4f) in a grow-out tank waiting for my 100g to be set up. I've plumbed a 50g sump that I am going to use somehow to place holding females in.

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:17 am 
Fishkeeper

Biotoper wrote:
Hi Nicole,

If your rockscape can accomodate it, you can use eggcrate to cordon off one side of the tank with the lone holding female until she spits.

I've got 6 of Chuck's yellow labs, 7 rusties, and 5 saulosi (1m/4f) in a grow-out tank waiting for my 100g to be set up. I've plumbed a 50g sump that I am going to use somehow to place holding females in.

Ryan

Ooh...now that's a great idea. I like the fact that it won't require me to stress the female out by catching her. She's been consistently hanging out in one section of the tank recently...near one end, actually. I think that'll work out well. Thanks!!! I can see eyeballs in there now, so I think things are going well.

Post subject: breeder traps
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:47 pm 
Former BAS Board

Nicole,
I use the hard plastic mesh type, maybe 5x5x5 inches, and put in a small piece of pvc, the fish can just barely get into the pvc., it hangs inside the tank.
chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:58 am 
Fishkeeper

I never did manage to catch the first female that was holding. I saw a little fish in the tank last night, though...about 1/2" long. Cute little yellow bugger, and quite the survivor too. :) I have another female holding now. I've got a breeder trap to put her in, if I can catch her. She's got a BIG mouthful of fry.