Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:26 am 
Fishkeeper

I have 3 fancy goldfish - the $28 size. Anyway, happy sweet fish - orandas. One just started not swimming, having trouble swimming above ground level. Eats, seems happy, no other signs of distress, clear eyes, skin looks good, just trouble moving around.

I have no idea what could be wrong. Any ideas.

PS He seems to have grown slower than the other two. (if that has any bearing)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:09 am 
BAS Member

Please post your question once.
May want to close this thread.

Post subject: Sinking Goldys
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:33 am 
Fishkeeper

I have been keeping fancy Goldys for too long. And have in a way specialized out of necessity on goldfish diseases. They are different from all my tropicals. Your Ordy sounds like he is having swimbladder problems. Very typical in these fish who were bred from large Carp into small fat fish. Flipover is a problem I deal with constantly. But since your little friend seems to have sunk, instead of floating upside down near the top I might treat for constipation. When fed certain foods or too much food, their compromised digestive tract can cause pressure on the swim bladder; thus the inability to remain bouyant. Also the slow growing might also be a problem in this fellow's digestive tract, or simply a slow growing fish. Some Goldys just grow very slowly and nothing is wrong.

What to do. Keep him moving and pooping. Raise the temperature slowly.
If you need to use a hospital tank do so. Feed pure spirulina (not a mix) and peas. All veg. The peas can be purchased frozen, nuke for a quick while and popped open and remove the skin and feed. Always feed sinking foods. Never allow a Goldy to eat from the surface where they can suck in air causing flipover because the air cannot be expelled from the digestive tract. The pure spirulina does not contain any air. And the peas should be a staple for your fish...once to three times a week..also keeping the tank at about 76' and Ph at 7.6 to 7.8 is optimal.

If you know all this already excuse my going on, but most people think fancy goldfish should be kept cold. If some kind of pathogen is involved then warmer water and salt would be my first course of treatment. Never hesitate to visit the Goldfish Connection, or even call or email Rick Hess about Goldy problems. He sells an excellent food. I feed a sinking soft moist krill from Kens Fish and spirulina and peas.

Don't hesitate to contact me. And I should be at the next meeting...happy goldy keeping.