Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lowering ph
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:00 pm 
Fishkeeper

Hi all,
Is there an easy way to lower ph without an ro system? I have very very soft water. The kh and dh test both only take one drop to change. Unfortunately my ph is off the charts high. I didn't invest in a high ph test but it is much darker than the 7.8 reading so I'm guessing its at least 8.0 if not higher. I've added oak leaves to my tank and boil the leaves to make an oak leaf extract. This lowers the ph to around 7.4 or so. It's just a pain to make and I need to add six cups of the extract per five gallons of tap water in order to lower the ph to match the tank when I do water changes. This makes the water very stained and I need the water much more acidic. Closer to 5. It seems a waste to get an ro unit with such soft water. Any ideas what I can do to get the ph lower? I don't think I'll be able to lower it with just oak leaves and I'd imagine peat moss would be about the same.

Post subject: Re: Lowering ph
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:55 pm 
Fishkeeper

You've tried the usual suspects. But collecting and boiling oak leaves sounds absolutely crazy. You can buy clean sphagnum moss (sold as potting material for orchids) and just use that.

I've also read on other forums that MWRA water in the Boston area while soft, has been subject to some treatment to raise PH, and that aeration will actually get rid of it. It would be nice if someone here could confirm that, or I'll just perform a test...

Right now I'm just bubbling CO2 into the water and am successfully lowering PH. But if what you are doing is already a challenge, I doubt a pressurized CO2 system is something you want to get into. I just dove in for $200 to do mine on my nano.