Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: frozen foods shelf life
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:27 am 
Fishkeeper

Hi All,
I know guy who just bought out a pet store. He is getting rid of a lot of stuff as he is focused on dogs. He has some frozen blood worms and shrimp. It's going cheap, but he can't swear as to how it's been handled. Do any of you see any risk here? Thanks
Conrad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:44 pm 
Former BAS Board

If it doesn't look likes its been obviously thawed and refrozen (ie instead of a flat pack it looks like a ziplock baggie of water got left in the freezer, all thick at one end and thin at the other, etc) then I would give it a shot - thaw a small piece and see how the food looks.

If it looks like individual worms or shrimp still, its good.
If it looks like really cheap clam chowda (all milky with indistinct pieces) then toss it.

On to the important question(s) - Does he have any tanks or more importantly RACKS he's looking to sell ?
(I really really need to move some of my setups to nice organized racks instead of having a bunch of tanks on individual stands...)
:mrgreen:

Rich

_______
Species I am currently keeping/breeding include :
Copadichromis borleyi "redfin"
Labidochromis caeruleus yellow labs
Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus "Super Red Ancistris"
Xiphophorus montezumae Montezuma Swordtails
_______
(I'm in the middle of resetting and redesigning my fishroom - so things are kinda quiet)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:04 pm 
Fishkeeper

I got some,but not all,of the food that he has. 2 bucks a pack. Turns out I didn't get the story quite right. The owners of Doggy Day (Tremont st. by the Herald) owned Pet Shop Girls, and recently closed the store in Somerville(?). All of the stock has been moved to Tremont st. I will double check, but I am pretty sure that all he has is the frozen food, (Krill, Plankton, Brine Shrimp, Shrimp,bloodworms) He would love to be cleaned out let me know if you want some. Oh, the packs have never thawed.
Conrad

Post subject: Frozen Food
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:34 am 
Former BAS Board

Conrad,
Rich really covered it well(as usual) but I'll chime in a bit.
I use frozen food pretty much daily.I've always heard the shelf life is about 6 months.I'd guess maybe a little longer depending on the temerature it was stored at,proper packing and no thawing(most important).
Sometimes older or not properly kept food will have freezer burn.It will have a musky odor to it and ice crystals.If I know the food is older and really has that strong musky smell and is heavily crystalized,I will not use it.
If it is not too bad,I'll put the pieces in a plastic cup w/water.I'll swish it around in the cup to remove the outer part of the food and pour that off down the sink.I then let it thaw before feeding.
One last thing.Keep the food packaged well while in the freezer.I usually have it wrapped in a few sheets of newspaper.I'll put that in a paper bag and then put the paper bag in a plastic bag.
Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:51 am 
Fishkeeper

On to the important question(s) - Does he have any tanks or more importantly RACKS he's looking to sell ?
(I really really need to move some of my setups to nice organized racks instead of having a bunch of tanks on individual stands...)
:mrgreen:

Hi Rich If you cant find any used rack system for all your tanks I can make anything you want out of metal. Something like Neds racks?
If your interested let me know and we can talk more
Ive been trying to make a bunch of the "Angevine stands" for Ned and Paradise but I have way too much overtime in the summer, so hopefully this winter I can make up some jigs and dies for that.
I have a 33L tank