Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: February
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:38 am 
Fishkeeper

February club meeting review

This months? meeting was held February 16, 2009 in the New England Aquarium?s Exploration Center. Everything began as it should once again this month. I like it when things run smoothly. There were only 31 people attending the meeting. Lots for the monthly auction were dropped off in the adjoining room. The photo board and bowl show display were set up and members put their entries on them.

Aric started the meeting with a brief discussion about the upcoming NEC convention in March and announced a free raffle for the clubs honorary registration. He also informed us that the current BAS t-shirts are just about sold out and a new design is in the works. Rich announced next 6 months lectures / activities.
March - Town hall meeting
April - Trivia night
May - Aquaculture in Hawaii
June - Ryan McAndrews on his Brazil trip
July - Buck ? a ? bag
August - Russ McAndrews on cichlids

February?s lecture was ?Jim Carmack?s trips to Peru?. His trips were a while back so the presentation was his discussion with a slide show. Whenever I see one of these trip presentations, I want to grab my passport and go. Afterwards, reality drifts back and the fear of being an American traveling abroad returns and I start thinking about Texas or Florida. This is followed by the realization of my bank account levels and I end up at the local pond looking for sunfish. Still, I love these presentations and I?m very jealous of anybody that gets to go on one of these trips. Some of the slides were a little dark and hard to see but the pictures were nice and Jim?s memories a delight to hear.

This months? bowl show topic was ?Characins?. There were four entries. After votes were tallied ( I hope I got this right ) Russ won 3rd place with his gold tetra, Tony took 2nd place with N. Unitaneus, and John got 1st place also with a Cardinal tetra. The fourth entry was Sean?s silver dollar. Eric presented the winners with their ribbons. Next month?s topic for the bowl show will be ?Livebearers? so net yourself a guppy and bring it in. All members may enter a fish. Bring your own bowl. An air pump, airline and air stones are available for use at the meeting as well as extra water and fish bags if needed.

There were five entries in the photo competition this month. Tony entered a picture of a betta, Lori entered a picture of some platys and guppies, Eric entered a picture of a goby (?), Sean entered a picture of a gold secerum, and Laura entered a picture of sea horses.

1st place was Tony?s photo of a betta.

(picture here in members newsletter)

Second place was Laura?s photo of sea horses

Third place was Lori?s photo of platty?s and guppies.

the other entries
goby (?)

severum

There was a monthly auction and a small raffle. Congratulations to all winners.
There was no members raffle this month again.

Refreshments were served, courtesy of Ryan, chips and soda. Nothing personal, Ryan, but what happened to John? I want chowder!

(The February newsletter also contained store review article)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]