Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Local species?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:45 pm 
BAS Board Member

Has anyone set up a tank with local fresh water species? Is it legal? I've heard that you need a permit to trap fresh water fish. I'd love to have a tank with a few bluegill. Hate to have to start with injured fish.
How much room do they need?
What local species stay small enough for an indoor tank?
What about native plants?
Inverts?

I know Rich has a lot of fun with SW locals -anybody with FW?

-- Front-fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:11 pm 
BAS Treasurer

yes I have a tank with local feshwater species.

perch, Bluegills, most sunfish, madtoms, darters, minnows, shiners, chubsuckers, and perhaps a bowfin are all suitable for indoor tanks.

Fish are LEGAL to trap. I find it easier to catch by hook and line (use unbarbed hooks) but I find that they do better if they are caught with a net.

Post subject: Local species?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:28 am 
BAS Board Member

In a chat with Dennis, our contact at the Boston Aquarium, he advised that indeed it is NOT legal to trap freshwater fish without a permit. All is not lost however. He, and others, suggested a live bait shop in Middleboro that usually has quite a variety of species. I'm sure there are others around too. I haven't had a hange to reseal the tank and get it up yet, so it will probably have to wait 'till spring. Gonna be a ool tank, though!

-- Front-fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:25 am 
Former BAS Board

I've been thinking about setting up a tank for either pygmy sunfish or dwarf sunfish - maybe putting them out in a small (100g) pond for the summer to get some sun and natural live foods...

_______
Species I am currently keeping/breeding include :
Copadichromis borleyi "redfin"
Labidochromis caeruleus yellow labs
Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus "Super Red Ancistris"
Xiphophorus montezumae Montezuma Swordtails
_______
(I'm in the middle of resetting and redesigning my fishroom - so things are kinda quiet)

Post subject: Re: Local species?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:25 pm 
BAS Treasurer

front-fan wrote:
In a chat with Dennis, our contact at the Boston Aquarium, he advised that indeed it is NOT legal to trap freshwater fish without a permit. All is not lost however. He, and others, suggested a live bait shop in Middleboro that usually has quite a variety of species. I'm sure there are others around too. I haven't had a hange to reseal the tank and get it up yet, so it will probably have to wait 'till spring. Gonna be a ool tank, though!

-- Front-fan

ah... I DO have a permit so I guess I'm safe. Could you give me an address for the bait shop in middleboro?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:58 pm 
BAS Treasurer

Fish are legal to trap for the purpose of bait. If you don't use the bait, what you do it with it (keep them alive, trash them, etc) is your decision as long as you don't throw them into anotehr body of water.

As of now, I have some golden shiners that I bought from a bait shop (they are huge... 4 inches each, $4 a dozen at the bait shop) The bait shop is called L Dee's and is in Dorchester. (or was it Roxbury? I forget), I have a bowfin that I got from a breeder in South Carolina.

I have kept in the past, a bluegill that I caught out of the charles, a striped bass from the charles, some young bluegill from Houghton's Pond in Milton (Blue Hills)

I caught some yellow perch at Jamaica Pond once, but they died before I could get them home so they ended up being dinner instead.

My neighbor is an avid fisher an caught a huge largemouth bass in New Hampshire. He's making soup with it.

I am trying to organize a collecting trip. There are a couple of areas that I want to go to. (but can't because they aren't near public transportation)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:49 am 
Fishkeeper

Hey FF. I actually have a BG in a tank. He was supposed to be lunch but didn't do us the favor of dying in the sack OR in the freezer! I was going to set him back in the pond but he had a frozen eyeball and a huge gash in his face from getting de-hooked. I got a tank for him and plopped him in. We were pretty aggressive about water changes in the first week. He's doing fine. Oddly, his eye is perfectly OK now but his face never healed up. This guy is about 9 inches and seems content in his 30g tank. We bought the new size filter up and have an air stone in there for him. He is eating us out of house and home: worse than teenage boy! Hell do 3-5 worms twice a day and a half dozen fat-heads every other day. Plus a tablespoon of brine shrimp and all the crickets he can get. I don't know how much I should feed him but I know how much I CAN feed him! I can't get him to take flakes or pellets. If his face heals up I still plan on putting him back where I found him. If not, I might throw a few Golden Shiners in there for "flash" and call it a day. I really want to claim the tank for "regular" tropical fish though since my daughter bough me an Oscar for Father's Day and I don't want my living room to become a guppy killing-fileld filled with big, ugly fish.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:07 pm 
Former BAS Board

Note that SOME species are illegal to keep, check the state's web site. For example, last time I looked the Northern Red Belly Dace was illegal. (Endangered)