Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:38 am 
BAS Member

ok I'm a bit jealous... I didn't have much luck with mine :(

They were in bad shape to begin with from the auction in Nov... Maybe I'll try again in the future.

It might of been that I had them in fairly soft water to start off. I'm slowing increasing the number of hard(er) water tanks from 0 to 2 now. maybe if I get more I'll revisit this fish.

Post subject: ammeca splendons
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:13 pm 
Former BAS Board

Its been 5 months. I have 3 babies left from the original spawn. They are a little more than half the size of the adults which have both grown at least a half an inch since I first got them. One of the babies is starting to show a faint dark crescent in its tail. A male? My original female is plumping out real nice again and I'm hoping to see the second spawn soon. These are really cool fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:35 am 
Former BAS Board

second spawn - so far I have seen 4 fry but there may be more as they blend in real good and are a bit shy at first. I think its time for these guys to get a bigger tank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:12 pm 
Former BAS Board

Just back from the NEC convention. I picked up two more Amecca Splendons. I know I already have them but I thought it would add to the gene pool (I know, with fish you really don't have to do that, but any excuse to pick up a couple more fish, right). I got 1 female and 1 male. They seem to be about the same size/age as my first spawning. Once the second generation starts spawning, I'll start bringing them into the club.

Post subject: disaster strikes
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:13 pm 
Former BAS Board

I don't know what happened but I lost about half of my colony. I have about 8 fish left. I think it might have been water quality even though all other fish in the tank (5 swords and 2 ancistrus) seem happy as can be. water change, water change, water change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:31 am 
BAS Treasurer

I bought a trio in the july aucton and they are doing well in my tank. When the fry are around, will the parents harass them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:14 am 
Former BAS Board

The fry are so large the parents probably don't see them as food. That and the fact that these guys prefer veggies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:33 am 
Former BAS Board

My adults seem to be ignoring the fry - I've got adults and at least 3 sizes of offspring in a 29g (they're slowly but surely outcompeting the platies and mollies in that tank ).

And they seem to be much better at avoiding the net than the mollies and platies in that tank - I catch 1 ameca for every 10 of the others I catch...

:roll:

(I was going to bring at least 2 trios last night, I've got at least 6 sexable young adults in there now - but I couldn't catch them within the timeframe available ! )

_______
Species I am currently keeping/breeding include :
Copadichromis borleyi "redfin"
Labidochromis caeruleus yellow labs
Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus "Super Red Ancistris"
Xiphophorus montezumae Montezuma Swordtails
_______
(I'm in the middle of resetting and redesigning my fishroom - so things are kinda quiet)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:06 pm 
BAS Treasurer

redpaulhus wrote:
My adults seem to be ignoring the fry - I've got adults and at least 3 sizes of offspring in a 29g (they're slowly but surely outcompeting the platies and mollies in that tank ).

And they seem to be much better at avoiding the net than the mollies and platies in that tank - I catch 1 ameca for every 10 of the others I catch...

:roll:

(I was going to bring at least 2 trios last night, I've got at least 6 sexable young adults in there now - but I couldn't catch them within the timeframe available ! )

I'll never catch mine because my tank is planted full of vallisneria (I don't want to uproot my plants)

I guess I'll have to use a makeshift fish trap if I ever need to take em out.

Post subject: starter groups
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:11 am 
Former BAS Board

Somebody asked me for some Ameca's today (3/19/7) at the meeting. I was wondering if anybody else in the club would like to try breeding these. If you would like to try let me know and I will bring some to the next meeting for you.

John B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:11 am 
Former BAS Board

And if the demand for Ameca's somehow exceeds what John can supply, I've got a bunch available as well.

_______
Species I am currently keeping/breeding include :
Copadichromis borleyi "redfin"
Labidochromis caeruleus yellow labs
Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"
Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus "Super Red Ancistris"
Xiphophorus montezumae Montezuma Swordtails
_______
(I'm in the middle of resetting and redesigning my fishroom - so things are kinda quiet)

Post subject: recent news
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:11 am 
Former BAS Board

its been a long time since anything was posted on these little fishes.
My colony got wiped out in November 07 when I was in Las Vegas. The filter shut down and the tank being so over populated went south very quickly. I managed to recover 4 fry and started over with them. Now I'm up to about 20 fish and will be moving them to a 40 gallon very soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:31 pm 
BAS Treasurer

I sold off a couple breeding colonies then my water's pH started plummeting. I tried doing water changes and adding neutral regulator, but I guess hte phosphate buffer was maxed out. It killed off the rest of my Amecas.

I did a couple more water changes and added some baking soda. Bicarbonate and phosphate buffers are 2 different things so if my phosphate buffer is maxed out, my bicarbonate buffer is saving me.

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:21 pm 
Former BAS Board

My colony of amecca's is still going strong. No substantial population growth since my last posting but they have all finally matured and are starting to produce. I still haven't moved these to a 40 but plan to do so soon.

Post subject: new tank
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:48 am 
Former BAS Board

I finally moved these to a 40 gallon tank. I moved the plants over as well. The Anubias that was in the old tank grew incredibly large. Its about 12 inches in length and covered in big green leaves. The roots that run down off of the rhizome make it look like a mangrove. The amecca's are pretty much staying amongst those roots. I'm sure they will adjust to the larger tank eventually. I moved 17 fish in total. I thought there were more. Plenty of room for a population explosion now.

John B.