Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: first Eheim
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:02 pm 
Former BAS Board

I've had many types of filters over the years but never an eheim canister. I've had Fluval (304, 404) and was a bit disappointed in the build quality and they were a real bear to get flowing again after a service.

We just put an Eheim 2075 (G160) filter on our planted 75 gallon tank. What a nice piece of kit! It comes will all media and what I thought were the optional (at $30 each) install kit 1 and install kit 2 which means I don't have to have the ugly bright green eheim tubing in the tank nor do I have to home-brew up a spraybar.

I have only 2 small quibbles. They quick disconnect at the canister so you don't need the quick disconnect kit, but I think I'll buy one to reduce the flow, it 330gph will be too much, I think for my angels. (The rainbows love it though!) and it took dozens of pumps on the priming button to get it going, not 1 to 2 like the instruction manual said.

Its been running for about an hour now, so any review is obviously too early, but out of the box we are both more than impressed with them. They are currently on sale at Big Al's and we might just get a second one now for the planned 5 or 6 foot living room tank. (The sale is pretty good, I paid $218)

Post subject: Re: first Eheim
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:12 am 
Fishkeeper

Have you ever used a Cascade (Penn Plax) series canister filter? I purchased one 6 months ago and it seems to be working well. No leakage at all and very quiet. I've been curious what feature / functionality I might be missing out on since the Cascade line is generally at a lower price point than similar rated units from Eheims and Fluvals.

Post subject: Re: first Eheim
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:51 am 
Former BAS Board

No, I haven't. Eheim certainly isn't cheap but I was quite pleased at how well everything work out of the box.