Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Neolamprologus Similis
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:01 pm 
Fishkeeper

Is anyone else keeping simis? I purchased a group of 10 REALLY nice simis from Ned's about a month and a half ago. I saw my first fry last night peering out of their shell. I can't tell just yet how many fry their are.

Post subject: similis
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:30 pm 
Former BAS Board

I keep them, I have them in a 75 all to themselves, feed lots of baby brine shrimp, If you want a good amount of the fry to survive then you need the baby brine.
chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:54 am 
Fishkeeper

Got the baby brine all set. I always have baby brine around since I always have betta fry around, too. :) The parents seem to enjoy the BBS as much as the fry.

I have mine in a 60 gallon acrylic tank. The tank is a weird one...it has two sides with two pass-through tunnels between the sides. The fish have split themselves up into two groups, with a couple of males on each side and their little harem of females. The setup seems to work very well for fish like these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:23 am 
Fishkeeper

My simis have been spawning like bunnies. I now have older siblings watching over two more batches of younger siblings. They're a riot to watch. I should have some to bring in for auction in the not too distant future.

I've had very good luck feeding them re-hydrated decapsulated brine shrimp that I got from Ken's. I also feed BBS and flake foods.

I love my shellies so much that I picked up some GORGEOUS gold occies (Lamprologus ocellatus). I have them in their own tank. They're a bit more aggressive than the simis. The ones I got are still young, so I expect it'll be a month or two before they start spawning.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:39 pm 
Fishkeeper

Hey any of you still got similis? Any for sale? Looking for like 2 females. I already have 3 males so I can part with one of them and do a trade?

Thanks, Braden