Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:12 pm 
BAS Board Member

At feeding time today I noticed that one of my cyprichromis females is holding! WOW! COOL! What a surprise! I didn't think they had enough room, or the conditioning to spawn. They are sharing a 20 long with a mess of multies. Now what? Should I risk moving her with a mouthful? When she spits, what should I feed them? My other fry have been surviving on micro fauna/flora growing on plants, etc. But cyps are lovers of open water, will ground up flake do? Time doesn't allow me to culture live stuff right now.
I've heard of ground up egg yolk for fry, has anyone tried it? Does it work?

I'd move them into my 20 tall, but I've recently put some transcriptus fry and some 1/4 inch calvus in there. If I move the cyps there, will they bother the calvus?

Fry is popping out everywhere! Where's an extra tank when you need one?!?

-- Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:37 pm 
BAS Treasurer

strain a hard boiled egg yolk through a cheese cloth if you want to do the egg yolk method

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:24 am 
BAS Board Member

Question: Can I safely move holding cyps without messing things up? Will she spit and lose the batch? I was planning on moving them to a tank where I can see them better anyway, but I hesitate to mess with happy (read breeding) fish.

-- Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:45 am 
Former BAS Board

I'm not sure - but I think Chuck has bred them.
You might want to pm or email him - cfitz is his userID.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:54 am 
BAS Board Member

Thanks Rich - I'll check with him.

-- Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:38 pm 
BAS Member

I bred cyps for a few years.

Count 21 days from the 1st time you noticed she was holding. Then I would catch her and strip the fry from her (shake her up and down towards the water). Make sure your hands are wet when holding her.

She should spit out about 12-22 fry. And move them from the tank or other fish will surely try to eat them.

I would also feed them frozen baby brine shrimp.

For the past 3 years I have been building a 300 gallon tank. And it's finally been getting worked on after a long hiatus. My goal is to have a mass of Cyp schools swimming around and breed them again.

Good luck,
Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:41 pm 
BAS Member

Also the mother should be pretty hungry when she done. She hasn't eaten in about 3 to 4 weeks.

And it will take a day or two before she looks back to normal (her face is dark and almost charcoal or brown when she is holding at the end.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:40 am 
BAS Board Member

DANG!! I lost them! When I checked on them last night, she had spit them. I can find no evidence of them anywhere. I know that the multies that are their tankmates have been harrassing them. They probably picked off all the fry. I just emptied a 38 gallon tank that I think I'll reconfigure just for the cyps. That way the fry from the next batch will have a chance. I'll set it up so that I be able to better observe these beauties too! Now that I know I have at least one breeding pair, I'm encouraged to make a special setup for them.
Thanks for everyone's suggestions! They are really appreciated! Does anyone have any tips for a cyprichromis setup? I'm going to start by putting sponges on my AC filter intakes!

-- Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:57 pm 
BAS Member

When I first started breeding them, I set up a 20 long and just gave then few plants, rocks and driftwood. They like to swim at the top and school.

When they got to a couple of inches I would sell them. When the fry get big enough to sex and start showing color you will have them bredding real young; brothers and sisters.. That's why I would sell them before they got too big.

The males don't do well around other males. There will definitely be a dominate male that comes out of the fry.

But it will take a long time before you are able to grow and sell them. Atl east 6 months to a year to get to that couple of inches.

What kind of Cyps do you have?

Post subject: New batch
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:02 am 
BAS Board Member

HURRAY!! I have baby cyps! I moved them to their own tank and they were holding again within a few days. If you read anywhere that cyps will not eat their own young, don't believe it! They ate two broods before I was able to catch some.
Last night I was able to catch 5 fry before they got eaten. I was going to strip the female this Saturday, but she spit yesterday. Of the 5 I caught, 4 seem to be OK, but one was fatally hit before I caught him. But a least I have four in a breeding net. Once they're a little larger I'll move them to a grow-out tank. I know they don't transfer well when they're too young. At least I got some.
Jay, I have cyprichromis leptosoma, blue flash. The males are spectacular! Right now I have a small school of 10 in a 38, but I want to move to a 55 as soon I can.

-- Dave

Post subject: Fry count rising!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:52 am 
BAS Board Member

My fry count is rising! If I'm not there exactly when they spit, they don't survive long but I was able to catch 3 more the night before last and 2 more again last night. That makes 8! Of the original 4, 3 are surviving and growing like little weeds! I think the forth had had a run-in with some of his adult 'friends' before I caught him.
'Gotta get that bigger tank. These guys are gorgeous!

-- front-fan a.k.a. Dave

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:06 am 
BAS Board Member

My school of fry is up to about 15. I kept the first bunch in a breeding net hanging in the tank, but I noticed that some of the new fry were beginning to survive. Since the net was pretty ugly I decided that as soon as they got big enough to be left alone, I let them go into the tank. At first they got a little attention, but no fatalities. They seem to be growing faster now that they have more swimming room. It almost looks like two schools of different species at times. The adults hang out together and the fry form their own little school. I notice last night that there are a couple really tiny ones in the fry school. There must be a critical point where the adults see so many fry that they don't try to eat them any more. I know that some are being picked off, but they are they weak ones and I don't have the tank space ready yet. I'm hoping to get my 55 rebuilt to house the adults and the fry will them have the whole 38 to themselves.

-- Dave aka front-fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:51 pm 
Fishkeeper

Any pic? How about an update?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:08 pm 
BAS Board Member

The school is up to close to forty. They've gotten used to having small ones in the tank and they've become good about eating them. I think there's a threshold where they realize they shouldn't eat them, but who knows, maybe they're just full. Anyhow, although I'm sure any weak or deformed ones are getting picked off, my school is slowly, constantly growing. I'll try to post some pics soon. I have a 55 for them in the works so maybe at the move I'll thin them out a little and bring some to auction. The problem I've seen is that they don't travel well, especially when they're young. For that reason I might offer some for pre-arranged sale rather that put them in the auction. TLC in shipping seems to be the rule for these guys.

-- front-fan a.k.a. Dave