Written by Russell McAndrews
- Fix specimen by submerging in a 10% buffered formalin* solution for 48 hours.
- Transfer to distilled water for 24 hours.
- Dehydrate specimen through an ethanol series, (10%, 30%, 60%, 70%) for a period of 24 hours in each solution.
- Store in a 70% ethanol.
Suggested recipe for buffered formalin:
- formaldehyde solution 100mL
- Sodium acid phosphate (NaH2PO4-H2O) 4.0g
- Anhydrous disodium phosphate (Na2HPO4) 6.5g
Check pH, adjust to 7.0 with NaOH or H3PO4 if necessary. Dilute to final volume of 1.0 L.
NOTE: Formalin is combustible, an irritant and may cause cancer. Use glove and adequate ventilation. Store in flame proof cabinet.